First Long Range Success....No Need to keep going

They are rough on shooters around you but I can call my own shots at 100 yards..I wish they weren't so big but they work great. Make sure you get the radial break and not the quick discharge, they are not the same.

They are rough on shooters around you but I can call my own shots at 100 yards..I wish they weren't so big but they work great. Make sure you get the radial break and not the quick discharge, they are not the same.

Thanks, didn't pay attention to that little detail. I'll have to make a mental note when I order.

Tank

Broz, without spending 3000 on military units what is better than the swaro?

The 300 Win is an awesome cartrige and will serve you a long time. Good choice.

As far as beam dvergence, in thie same price range, the Leica CRF has a smaller beam. I have only played with the new CRF 1600 once but my impression of it wa good for under a grand. Up from there RF's get pricey. I sold off my Swaro and a few rifles I have not used in years and bought the PLRF10. I kept my Leica CRF 1200 for a spare. The beam on the PLRF10 is even smaller than the leica with much more power. Yesterday I was ranging a coyote at over 1475 yards. I was prone and he was in wheat stubble with a full blanket of snow. My RF never missed once. All this said it is a must to go prone and put any RF solid on sand bags at these diatances on small targets. Then do as you did, start above the target and come down to it. I want 3 consecutive matching ranges before I am convinced I am on the target. It takes a small beam to do this.

Jeff gun)gun)

That is a great rifle and scope you have there too. Your load is getting awesome velocity. I have a custom 300 win with a Defiance action and a 28" Broughton 5C and a 1 in 10 twist. With H-1000 I get 2995 fps. @ 4200 ft alt. with a 210 Berger.

Many can not justify the price of a rangefinder that will equal the performance of their rifle. But I wish I would have done it long ago. What good is a $6000 plus rifle scope package if you weaken its ability with a low end RF? I have a few less rifles now, but the ones I have are complemented by a equal RF. Plus my frustration level is much lower while ranging a trophy.:D

Just my opinion.

Jeff gun)gun)

I could not agree with you more. At first I toyed with the idea of using my scope to range.(you know the mil system) I believe this method to be a wild guess at best when dealing with game animals because there is NO way to know his size exactly..My deer was 16 1/2 inches through the chest. We have shot some a wide as 20 inches through the chest. Play with thoes numbers for a second and see if you guess wrong by an inch and a half how far you are off. Not to mention just like everything else in this sport the farther he is the worse it gets. I found out for the first hour and a half of this hunt the best scope/rifle combo in the world are useless if you dont know how far your target is. I will look into the unit you mentioned..isnt the 3000 tag about where they are?

.My deer was 16 1/2 inches through the chest. We have shot some a wide as 20 inches through the chest. Play with thoes numbers for a second and see if you guess wrong by an inch and a half how far you are off.

I found out for the first hour and a half of this hunt the best scope/rifle combo in the world are useless if you dont know how far your target is.

That is why I stopped buying optics with measuring stuff in the reticule and started using target dots for better pin point aiming. I don't mind twiddling.

Tank

I found out for the first hour and a half of this hunt the best scope/rifle combo in the world are useless if you dont know how far your target is. I will look into the unit you mentioned..isnt the 3000 tag about where they are?

I know the feeling, I struggled with getting a good range more than judging the wind this year, once you get out to the outer limits of your gear every yard is critical! Nice buck and great shot!

GREAT buck and GREAT shot. 500 yards plus is a long ways. Think about how long it took you to walk that far to your buck. As to the problems, it will help the novices like me if I every get into that situation. Thanks for sharing.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.