First group from new 338 RUM

sambo3006

Got myself a poor man's long range elk gun. Remington 700 BDL left hand 338 RUM. I sent it off to be ported by Warner Guns and fitted a Limbsaver recoil pad and tweaked the trigger. I put a 6-24x50mm NC Star scope on it (didn't know how it would hold up but gave it a try).
Loaded up some 225 gr Accubonds with 90 gr IMR 7828 and seated them to cycle through the magazine. Fired a couple of sighters and touched off a 3 shot group. Nice cloverleaf group 0.41" at 100 yds! Didn't fire any more rounds as it was 75 and sunny and the barrel was warm. I hope it keeps it up with this load.
Never shot it before I had it ported, so I don't know how much it reduced the recoil, but now it kicks like a 270. I had them port it to reduce muzzle jump and it doesn't jump at all. Definitely worth the money, since my 338 win mag smacks me pretty hard.
338rum.jpg
1stgroup338rum.jpg

Hello fellow southpaw.

Very nice group!

Would you like to upgrade your stock to a laminated LSS for a good price? I just happen to have a left hand long action stock that would look good on that there rifle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sambo3006,

Congratulations on your new 338 RUM. Looks like you are off to a good start with the 225 gr AB.
I have a M700 LSS in 338 RUM, Pachmyer Decelerator recoil pad and no brake. Scope is a Leupold VXIII 2.5x8.
This past weekend I shot a 3 shot group measuring .587" with the 225 gr AB,96.0 grs RL25, Federal GM215M primer and R-P cases. The COL was set a 3.600".
I will retest this comming weekend with the same load and the COL at 3.365".

Regards,

JD338

[ QUOTE ]
sambo3006,

Congratulations on your new 338 RUM. Looks like you are off to a good start with the 225 gr AB.
I have a M700 LSS in 338 RUM, Pachmyer Decelerator recoil pad and no brake. Scope is a Leupold VXIII 2.5x8.
This past weekend I shot a 3 shot group measuring .587" with the 225 gr AB,96.0 grs RL25, Federal GM215M primer and R-P cases. The COL was set a 3.600".
I will retest this comming weekend with the same load and the COL at 3.365".

Regards,

JD338

[/ QUOTE ]
I can highly recommend the barrel porting. I had it done by Warner Guns www.gunporting.com. Recoil is quite manageable and not at all painful. My COAL is 3.650". I need to chronograph that load that I shot. I figure 2950 fps or so. I also picked up some Retumbo that I want to play with. I also need to visit my friend who has a 450 yard bench. Then we will see if this is an accurate load.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.