First Go with 180 grain Scirocco II

skip4502

Went to the range today with for loads of H1000 and 180gr Scirocco IIs. I've only been shooting 3 round groups lately due to the shortage (read: complete unavailability) of supplies. As you can see, this was a pretty poor day. Much of it is likely the reloader and shooter, but I like to think I can snug them up a little better than this.

I shoot my rounds out of the prone off a bipod because until about 5 months ago I'd never really toyed with it. I'm still learning down there. Nevermind the bottom group here, but is this pretty bad at 100? Didn't take the chrono out today, so I'm not sure what my mvs are.

For what it's worth: I use a CZ 550 UHR in 300 win mag with a mini muscle break.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 109
My thought would be to load up 4 or 5 rounds of the load on the right. Take them to the range, chronograph too. Then shoot a group taking your time, minimum 2-3 minutes between shots, making sure every shot is the one you want, want to eliminate the shooter in the equation.
Are you using a rear bag?

No, I don't have a rear bag yet. I've been shooting at 100 yards for the past 6 months, and it's driving me nuts not to be able to stretch it out, but with performances like this, I'll just get more frustrated if I do.

My best load this far has been 168 gr VLD with 69.5 gr H4350. My 5 shot group is usually .92 with 4 shot group at .70. I usually seem to throw one. Anyway, I'm completely dry on H4350. It's been back ordered for about three weeks now.

I reload with, hold your laugher, a Lee Hand Press and collet dies. My reloading equipment is a lot like my rifle, I'm learning the process first before I upgrade. Also, are boresnakes bad to use? Thanks again.

Get a rear bag or something to stabilize rear of rifle, then you should see your groups of your favorite load tighten up significantly. Then the occasional pull/flyer you claim to get should disappear , long range requires stable platform, i.e. rear support.

I'm sure there's a brand that tends to be the best, or more preferred anyway. Any issues or downsides to something inexpensive like a Caldwell or Stoney Point?

Swift will probably be out of business by the next time I make it to the range, golf season is right around the corner!

When you say finicky are you talking from lot to lot, or just nothing you seem to do produces consistent results. I'm pretty new at this, and my equipment isn't all that great, but if they keep shooting like this, I'll let you know.

For what it's worth, the temperature was around 47 degrees today with steady breezes. Nothing that would push it at 200 though.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.