First elk kill for the 338 Lapua

Tikkamike

This weekend I took my sister up to fill the late season bull tag she had drawn. I knew the real challenge was going to be getting her to not shoot the first elk we saw because she LOVES shooting animals. First thing in the morning we got up on the point and glassed from the truck to see which of our 3 main ridges the elk seemed to be on. as luck would have it all 3 had elk on them. the one closest had 27 elk 9 of which were bulls 3 were very good bulls. knowing we didnt have time to get on them before they went in the timber for the day we decided to watch them until they left. I am glad we did because we saw hundreds of elk. they were on most of the ridges and 2 were large 1-200 herds. That evening we decided to hike up on a point where we have killed elk countless times. First a bunch of cows came out but then winded us and left about 30 minutes later they came back at the same time another herd of about 75 was coming outjust across the meadow. we sat tight because all we were seeing was cows and spikes. Finally a small 5 point showed up and I figured the bulls would start showing up. Only 2 were in the group. the small 5 and a realy decent 5x6. So we got into position. I had my 338 Lapua because I knew she wanted to use that if possible and she had her 30-06 loaded with 180 TSX. We got into position she was behind the 338. I told her when they came out in the opening to wait till i could figure out which one was the big one because they were fighting and it was hard to tell. they came out and we had to wait probably 5 minutes for them to stop fighting. once that happened we waited for him to clear the cows. I ranged him at 461 told her to hold on the front of the shoulder because the wind was blowing 10-15 mph and gusting about 20. I gave her the thumbs up and she sent a 300 SMK his way. She was able to recover from the recoil in time to see all 4 legs crumple instantly when the bullet hit. He was out! We high Fived and were off towards the bull. Got up to him and the bullet had only drifted 6-9 inches and hit him square in the shoulder and exited out the opposite side. Not her biggest bull But for sure her longest shot. It was an awesome hunt. and to add sweetness to it we were able to drive to it with the rhino and haul it out! Thats my kind of elk hunting.
105.jpg

107.jpg

Mike

I'm starting to hate you alot. At first I was happy for you getting the first speed goat then the "PIG" but after that its like ***. I'm so darn jelous its not even funny!:D

I'm sure with a little time it will turn to admiration but for now I just dispise you.

ICAN, Sorry its been a really good year. I wont post the pic of the whitetail my dad shot tonight... haha sorry but he did get a cool one. nothing huge but a freak!

Jim See, that last thing that bullet saw before elk shoulder was your side port muscle brake with the top porting.

Thanks everyone else. she did awesome!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.