First Elk Hunt questions

As far as adjusting to the altitude try to get out there a day or two early. I also live in Kentucky and hunt Colorado. Base camp at 8000ft and hunt from there up to 10500ft. One thing to do to avoid headaches and sleeplessness the first few days out at altitude. Stay hydrated. But try this. If you drive out, about half way through Kansas start taking aspirin or even better Tums. Take a couple Tums every 6 or 8 hours. Stay away from the alcohol at altitude if possible. I used to get the headache soon as I passed over Monarch Pass. Starting doing the aspirin and have had no problems. Sleep like a baby out there but I do have some vivid dreams. One other thing I carry is some saline nasal spray and Visine, helps with the dry sinuses and the dry, fatigued eyes of constantly looking for the elk. Good Luck.

Thanks man. The altitude sickness is something that worries me. I never heard of the tums or asprin thing but I'll definitely have to try that. Im gonna try to go to denver on day one then prob to jackson or alpine wy then on into camp on third day. Hopefully that will help

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.