First day at the range

hunterjmj

Leveled and set my scope yesterday, actually did it twice. After I was satisfied with where the scope was set I noticed the front of the rail was about a 1/16" from the bell of the scope so I took it apart and trimmed the rail back a 1/4". I think I got it a bit more plum the second time anyhow. Did a quick bore sight in the garage and headed to the range. First shot was 5" low and 6" to the left. A few clicks of the scope and 2 bullets last I was hitting dead nuts. I roughly followed a barrel break in cleaning and played with the turrets out to 400 the brought it back to a 100 and ran out of bullets. Didn't really work on groups today, just enjoyed shooting and playing with the scope. Loving the new rifle and scope.
Going to start working on my shooting and what this rifle can do.
Do you guys have a routine when you hit the range? Work on grouping at a certain range then work up or focus at one distance/trip?

Once I get my 200yd zero verified I do a cold bore mapping check. Using the same target if possible I shoot my first shot each time I go out and see how the rifle holds zero. Then 400yds and 600 yds. Just takes 1 shot each time. That way you know that the most important first shot is where it's supposed to be. Groups are great, but cold bore mapping is crucial for first round hits. Having confidence in your rifle is very important.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.