First Long range shots

reed

Well just shot for the first time today past 500yds. I used my Hart accurized 300Rum with first time loading shells. 90gr of IMR7828 with 180 Nosler Partition. Grouped .5 at 100yd but not that accurate out past 400yds, still managed to put all 5 shots in a 10" circle at 820yds. I'm hooked now, I think I;m gonna try one of Harts barrels and test better loads and bullets.

Travis

A ten inch group at eight hundred is good enough for everything except possums. You'll need to tighten up your groups for them.:D

i'm with Bob. 10" at 820 is pretty good if it's your first time at extended range. the partitions are not exactly a high use long range bullet. try some 210 bergers out of it.might do a little better.

Bob, what would a minute of Opossum gun be?

congratulation.
just try 200AB, with Retumbo.
I got 1/5MOA with 91g /94g Retumbo on my 300rum.
with some you will get good group at 100yards, but not at long distances. just tune up your load,with a better lr bullet, as 200AB / 208A-MAX or 220AB.
Chris

Thanks guys, I was pretty happy to shoot that well first time past 500yds, at least my drop chart was all but right on. When your testing loads for accuracy, do you start at 100yd group and see what a 300 or 400 group is. Before I start to hunt long range I want to consistenly hit gallon milk jugs on first shot at various ranges.

Travis

i really don't shoot at 100 yards but i would say that most do. i just shoot at 300 then 500 to find an accurate load. to be honest, i really don't care what it does at 100.

100 yards is good to get an idea if it will group. I group at 300, you'll see any inconsistencies better at a farther range.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.