First Custom Build.

D3V1L6

So, after much deliberation on what rifle I would get myself this year, I decided I might venture into the custom build category. From what I've read, going custom seems to be an interesting, involved and fun way to add to a collection.

So, I guess step one would be to pick a caliber. For this I've selected .223. Why? well, at this time I do not reload (condo living isn't conducive to making bullets), ammo is relatively cheap, especially if using surplus for plinking, and the biggest thing would be shooting would be coyotes. However, I've also been eyeing up .308, it now seems like a more logical choice, considering my favorite bush rifle is in 308.

Next step would be which rifle to use for the build. The Stevens 200 and Savages w/ AccuTrigger both come to mind. Taking into consideration that budget isn't too much of a factor and that I am mostly concerned with quality and reliability, which s the better option? Stevens action with aftermarket trigger or Savage action w/ AccuTrigger?

Barrel, optics and other questions to come later.

Savage and Stevens are the same thing , I personaly don't like the accutrigger so either way I'd be buying a new one.

What kind of budget have you set for the rifle alone??

DV3,

Don't buy the Savage actions, because you will still have to have it worked on by a gunsmith to make it accurate. If you want to go custom, buy a Stiller Action. The Stiller Predator is an awesome action and it will only run you around $750.00, and you don't have to worry about having it accurized because it already is. The Stiller Predator will run circles around either a Savage or Rem. 700 action.

James: I haven't really set a budget, but I guess 2000$ max on rifle alone would be reasonable.

Reeper: Thanks for the info, had not heard of stiller actions. Will definately look into their products.

If yu have that much to spend and don't already have an action then it would be crazy to buy a factory action and rebuild it.

Stiller Predator or TAC series actions would be a good choice , I reciently built a 308 on a Phoenix Machine action and PT&G bolt and could not be happier , I went with Phoenix because they allowed me to get what I wanted in the reciever , like smaller target port and fully round rear bridge making for a stiffer action , longer barrel tennon , heavy rear tang of reciever , could have got a right bolt left port , could have got custom serial number.

$415 for reciever with side bolt stop and double pinned recoil lug
$235 for PT&G bolt , includes welding of handel , firing pin assembly and Sako extractor kit
$285 for Brux barrel , includes shipping , these are as good as they get !!
$200 for fitting and chambering of barrel
$100 for Rifle basix trigger.

This leaves $765 for a stock of your choice which can range from $225 for a used HS Precision to $700 ish for a fullay adjustable McMillan or Manners A5

Awesome!!! Too bad you didn't add
btn-atc__V45730557_.gif

But all kidding aside, this info is great. I've got some homework to do now...

As far as the round goes , it boils down to what you want to do with it. The 223 and 308 both can be built into fantasticly accurate rifles , both have several very good choices of quality ammo , theirs alot of ammo available due to them being a NATO round.

Now if your just gonna be punching paper the 223 is great , cheap to shoot , easy on the shoulder , muzzle blast isin't to bad , if you go with a fast twist barrel like a 1-7 to shoot the 80gr SMK's and Berger VLD's you can shoot targets all the way to 1000yds !!! you can also use light weight V-max style bullets to shoot varmint with.
But if you plan to shoot deer or anything bigger than coyotes then I'd choose the 308 , again the recoil isin't bad at all theirs alot of good factory ammo available , its known for its accuracy , its incredibly easy to reload for.

At the realy long ranges the 308 will give you a little edge due to the heavier higher BC bullets. I'm a big fan of the 308 , and it'll likely always hold a spot in my heart.

Either way you can build a very accurate weapon on either round.

you can also build a very accurate gun on the "El-cheap-O" Savage actions , they may not be the match winning accuray that you canget from a full custom but they can be made to shoot supprisinly accurate

I'm pretty much decided on the 223. I currently own a Ruger Target Grey Frontier in 308 and a Remington 700 in 30-06 for big game hunting.

Now I just need put a list of parts together, find a Gunsmith in my part of Canada, discuss the plan with him and maybe put it together.

Check out Alberta Tactial Rifle in calgary. There doesn't seem to be alot of gunsmiths that specialize in long range rifles in canada, lots that do general hunting rifles though. If you are concerned with long range accuracy it seems to me that ayou need to find that in a good gunsmith as well. Or with the proper permits and the right gunsmith you should be able to get work done in the US.

I will put in a plug Savage rifles. With the budget you gave, you could get one of their target actions, have it timed and tuned by Sharp Shooter Supply, put on the barrel and stock of your choice for less than $1500.

I just finished my second Savage project. The first is a bone stock LRPV in 22-250 with an Elite 4200 6-24x scope. This gun averages in the .2's and .3's. On a good day it will go into the low .2's.The best group is a .15 for 5 shots. The whole set up cost about $1600.

The second that I just finished today started as an LRPV in .223. I took off the factory barrel, screwed on a PacNor 28" prefit in 300WSM, changed the bolt head, set the head space and it was good to go. The whole process took less than 20min. I put a Leupold Mark 2 in a set of Burris signature rings on there and it was good to go. I'm just working on breaking in the barrel, but none of the 3 shot groups went over .5". This is without any load development. Just a go to load with H4831SC and a 150gr Rem CL bullet.

I think that you could build an accurate rifle just as easily on a Savage action as any other. For that matter you could probably buy one that shot pretty darn good out of the box. I will say that the after market parts are a little harder to find for the Savage when compared to a Remington or similar action.

Good luck with whatever you go with though.

Andrew

i think you should go with a used Stevens 200, unmodified in 243. i know of one for sale for just under $2000. it last took a coyote at 466 yards! HAHA! good to see you doing your research!!

gun)

Well, that stevens sure seems good, but I know for a fact its a little off at about 1000Yds.

So.... After much thought, I've put aside the LR rifle for a little while. First reason, a custom build in Canada will in most cases not cost under 2K$, might as well buy a factory rifle and tweak it a bit. Second, I'm not willing to pay more that 1500$ for a 223, that is why I will wait, save up some extra cash and when the time is right, maybe invest in a custom 270 or 308.

With all that in mind, I bought myself a Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless (.223) with a leupold Mark II 3-9x 40mm T2 Mil Dot, all for just over 1500$Cdn. Looking forward to putting some rounds down range.

Good choice! I really like the Tikka varmint rifles. That would be my second choice after a Savage. Have fun with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.