First 400 yd group 7STW

sambo3006

Finally got to shoot at longer than a 100 yd bench. A friend has a bench set up that goes out to 450 yds. It is not very comfortable and I was not happy with getting the gun stable, but you do what you can. From a steady rest this gun routinely prints groups in the .35" range at 100 yds (Savage Tactical 7STW 140 gr BT VariX II 4-12). I fired one group in a slight crosswind at 400 yds. It measured 3.19" ctc. My lower duplex made a convenient aiming point, as the group struck 2.5" below this with the scope on 12x. I could tell that I was not completely stable from this bench. I bet this gun will go around 2" or so at 400 yds. This was my first experience with shooting groups any farther than 300 yds. Pretty cool. Now I need to find somewhere that I can shoot 500 or 600 yards. Anybody around southwest Missouri?

Saambo3006, great shooting. Do you have an AO on your scope? Factory scopes have the parallax set at 150 yds. You can get by without an AO, but you need to get a good weld on your stock so that you are looking through the center of your scope lense. Keep that weld steady and consistent and parallax won't be a big issue. Good luck.

This scope does have the adjustable objective. I was able to get a clear image of the target. The problem is the bench and seat. I was having to lean into the gun and was being poked by the edge of the bench. I like to be able to get in a relaxed position behind the gun, both for steadiness and recoil. Sometimes it is hard for a lefty to use a bench if it was designed for rightys.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.