Nothing fancy....1st 1000 yd group

Alan Griffith

My best friend flew in from Sacramento the other day. He and his business partner, whom we are introducing to long range shooting/hunting, and I, drove down to Price, Utah on Thursday to shoot at the new Carbon County "North Springs" shooting range. It's about 15 min south of Price. This place is fantastic North Spring Shooting Range & Recreation Area

We set up on the 600 yd line and to warm up I ranged the 18" round "BLACK" gong at 200 yds with my Swaro LRF and kept getting 303. Being my first time at this range and unfamiliar with it, I thought maybe their yardage markers were off and thus believed my LRF. I set up for the shot and promptly missed over. What the heck! Ranged the 200 yd marker and it kept coming up 202 yds (2 yds back from the line). We started pinging different points all over the range with both my Swaro and a Leica 1200 CRF. Note: both LRF will read long when ranging these "BLACK" painted metal targets. Guess black paint absorbs the laser long enough before bouncing back that the internal clock reads it at a longer range. I wonder if a black bear will do the same thing.

Anyway, started hitting the different 18" round gongs at 200, 300, 400, 500 all the way out to 600 yds. I was having a great time. I then moved down a few benches to the 1000 yd line and promply hit the 900 yd gong 2x in a row. Wind was increasing as the time was about 2 pm.

Decided to try the 1000 yd plate. This thing is huge! Probably 10' x 10' with a white ring about 12" in diameter and a red 8" center (i'm guessing on the size). Started shooting and they guys incouraged me to shoot a group. I didn't hit the POI but 4 of the 5 shots are decent for my 1st 1000 yd shoot.

Rifle is a custom Rem 700 with a 26" Lilja SS barrel which is .542" at the muzzle; quite skinny. Shooting a 30-06 Ackley Imp with a 180 Nos 180 BT at 2997 fps. Scope is the Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x50 w/ TMR ret set in TPS low alum rings on a Ken Farrell 20 MOA base. Weight w/o the Harris bipod is 7.5 lbs.

Wind was running 4-8 mph from about 4-5 o'clock. I tried shooting when the wind was low but a gust took one shot to the point just off my left shoulder, about 12"-14" to the left of the main group.

1st1000yds.jpg
[/IMG]

Congrats, Nice shooting. Very rewarding when looking down range. Keep up the good work. Semper Fi

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.