Firing pin fails to dent primer 300PRC?

Troutslayer2

After a failed hunt yesterday I wanted to shoot my rifle. I got a click, let the round sit in the chamber a while then extracted that round. It was ever so lightly dented by my firing pin. I put in another round and it fired. It was in the mid 20s all day but gun was kept free of snow and debris. I don't want to throw any high end action builders under the bus here but had that failure to fire been on an elk I probably would have lost my nerves. Is this an issue with my firing pin being too short? All my spent brass looks good with a nice dent in them. Could the cold weather alone do this? Is this my first 300PRC "click" that I heard about but never thought it would happen to me or is that a different problem?

In a part of the state where elk encounters are hard won I am not sure if I'm comfortable carrying this rifle until I figure out what the problem is.

Hand loads or factory ammunition? Sometimes if they're hand loads and you bump the shoulder back too far the case slides forward a bit when firing pin strikes.

Have you fired this ammo in this gun before, and if so, how did it perform then? Is this a cold weather, this time only failure to fire or has this happened before?

Assuming all that checks out fine, a good cleaning of the bolt internals should do the trick.

Last edited:
Never happened before in this same lot of brass. Headspace is .0015" measured off the shoulder. Primer looks and feels like all the rest in this batch. Guess I need to take the bolt apart and degrease it.

Are your primers seated to touch or crush?

How much firing pin fall does the action have?

Never happened before in this same lot of brass. Headspace is .0015" measured off the shoulder. Primer looks and feels like all the rest in this batch. Guess I need to take the bolt apart and degrease it.
Yes, strip the bolt, clean everything with brake cleaner. Do not relubricate, get some anti freeze, soak everything, blow everything off with a air, reassemble, go hunting with no worries. đź‘Ť

Recent Posts