Firing pin off center

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by BLK, Oct 11, 2010.

1. BLK

BLK Member

Still struggling to get a group with my 243 Ruger MARK II. I noticed that the firing pin hits the primer way off center. It hits the same each time but it is definitely way off the center of the primer. Could this affect accuracy? Still at 2" at 100 yards.

2. 4xforfun

4xforfun Well-Known Member

Not near as far off center as my 10-22, and it shoots great!!!!:D

3. BLK

BLK Member

I have to submit to that one. My 10-22 doesn't group real well either.
    Hmmmmmm?

4. Kevin Thomas

Kevin Thomas Well-Known Member

The late Creighton Audette did a piece on this some years back for The Rifleman, and it's been reprinted in some other NRA publications since. Don't recall all the details, but his conclusion was that it wasn't really that much of a factor in accuracy. Surprising, but Creighton was nothing if not a stickler for scientific accuracy in his testing.

I'd say the accuracy problem rests elsewhere, and this is one of the least of the problems in this particular case.

Kevin Thomas
    Lapua USA

5. Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss Well-Known Member

Kevin---I think I remember reading that. Speedy sent me a bunch of scanned articles that he wrote. Very smart man!!!

6. Kevin Thomas

Kevin Thomas Well-Known Member

The NRA used to have quite a collection of tech guys writing for them; Hatcher, Audette, Bill Davis and a host of others. They still have some good ones, but man, those guys were giants in the field. Solid scientific backgrounds, inquisitive natures and intellectual integrity in reporting their findings.

Kevin Thomas
    Lapua USA