Fireforming.

Trent

I am just getting into long range hunting and had my eye on a 270 allen mag down the road. I am just getting into reloading also as a buddy is going to let me use his new reloading tools since he is working on the road and doesn't have the time in exchange for me loading a few of his. I have bought hornady's book and lyman's and have been reading up.
I understand necking down the 300Rum case, but am wondering about fireforming and if someone could explain this better. The first time you shoot the cartridge is it not going to have the same ballistics or do you have to fire all once to get the cases correct, possibly having to trim, to get consistent ballistics. Sorry if this ? is dumb or not making sense. I also want to stress that this is way down the road for me on reloading as i would like to get some basic loads for my 270 win and others reloaded first to get some experience and knowledge.
Also i seen in a post Kirby said he had not got remmington or winchester talked into making that case yet, wondered if he could try hornady. Seem like they are helping with a lot of new calibers.
Thanks for your time and help. I am learning more everyday from this site. I also got Shawn's video on the way so i can get a better understanding of shooting farther distances and equipment.
thanks

The first time you shoot the cartridge is it not going to have the same ballistics or do you have to fire all once to get the cases correct, possibly having to trim, to get consistent ballistics.
Typically you will shoot the fireform loads with a slightly reduced powder charge and the velocity will be slightly lower than the full power loads you will be shooting later, although the accuracy normally is great. I've killed big game animals using fireform loads.;)

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense now. I am glad to hear that the fireform loads will work for hunting. I was worried the first shot was just a waste of barrel and money. What is the typical barrel life of one of these guns and possibly ballpark figure for getting one down the road? Everything i have read has been good and really has me wanting one.
Thanks again.

They work great for hunting and also for loooong range practice.;);) I've killed a lot of dangerous rocks at long range with the fireform loads.

My rifle has been kind of a test critter so I've never worn out a barrel yet, just switched them.

I'd say that for hunting accuracy vs. bench accuracy they should get 1000-1500 rounds. I think Lerch had close to 900 through his 270 AM and it still shot great.

Your right SS7MM, my 270AM had right around 900rnds down it and was still shooting great, i recently shot great in a 1000yd tournament with it. I re barreled it so it would be a lighter weight rig. clean em, be kind to em, and dont get em hot and the dang things will last you along time. to bad the the bbl expectancy of most rounds is determined by BR shooters, i have seen how hard those guys are on pipes!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts