Fireforming big cases

4xforfun

I did a search using "fireforming" and looked around...didn't really see what I was looking for.

How do you guys who shoot the big cases like the Lapua imp. fireform your cases? I know some guys in the BR world use fast pistol powder and corn meal/grits/ect...and shoot "blanks". But, most of them actualy fire bullets to fireform. Most feel you get a better formed case. Also, most of the cases are smaller cases, like the dasher. I know guys who say that they have actualy fireformed cases while shooting a match. I actualy fired bullets in my dasher. My dasher mentors didn't believe in the fast powder/grits method, so I followed their advice.

I know that benchrest and LR hunting needs are an apples/oranges comparison. I also know that many of you also shoot benchrest. I am thinking that I may go with tha Lapua imp if I can find a way to fireform in a way that I won't need to waist BBL, bullets, powder PRIMERS (don't get me started on primers!!!) and time. I just hate the thought of "waisting" 100 rounds on a gun with a short bbl life.

Does Kirby offer pre-formed brass for his AX. That would be one option, but he said it was a 6 - 8 month wait once he gets the componants. There is no way I can leave him my actions for that long .....they are my comp actions and I need them for 1K benchrest.

This thread is kind of a follow up on my "Advice on LR hammer" thread. I wouldn't mind an Edge, would LOVE a 338 Allen Mag, but the more I look at the improved Lapua casses, the more I like them. It seems that the bbl life on a 338 Allen magnum would be a problem, givin my perpencity to "plink" with my big guns. :D I guess I could chamber for the big Chytec case in a 36-38 inch tube....shoot it till it's accuracy falls off, cut 6 -8 inches off and rechamber for the Edge (since I already have a mag bolt) and get another new AM tube. ALGORE would be proud of my attempt to recycle!!!! From what I have seen, its the first 4 -8 inches that "goes away" due to extensive erosion and firecracking.

Any thoughts on the FF issue or the rechambering of a "spent" tube?

Thanks

Neck up, neck down with a false shoulder on the neck for crush fit and shoot em with full load

6mmbr has an article on it and works same way for big cases.

Hornady makes a "hydralic" forming die also.

BH

Neck up, neck down with a false shoulder on the neck for crush fit and shoot em with full load

6mmbr has an article on it and works same way for big cases.

Hornady makes a "hydralic" forming die also.

BH
This is exactly how I form my Dasher loads, plus I jam fit the bullets. I am just trying to avoid shooting actual bullets all together.

Thanks Dave for the link to the Boss Hoss reply on this subject. I do know that Boss has been around the block, and I know Speedy's rep...one of the best in the BR world.

I might talk to Lonny or Joe Thielen over at Hornady. I got to know both fairly well through the IBS 1K shoots. Both top notch guys at a top notch company!!

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.