Firearm reconditioning: How to remove rusty spots WITHOUT removing any of the blue?

Re: Firearm reconditioning: How to remove rusty spots WITHOUT removing any of the bl

I just ordered a big 45 pad. Only I ordered it directly from the man. Going that route, it only costs 5 bucks, and the shipping is free. They do make a point about it not harming the existing blue. But I think that only holds true if the existing blue is not of the cold variety.

As for the oxphoblue, the shipping cost (from brownell's, anyways) is higher than the price of the product itself. I just made an order from midway a couple of days ago, and I would have added it to the order if I had known about it then. It is generally regarded as being better that most of what else is out there, and it supposedly works right through any oil that is still on the metal. But I've read that it does not get as dark or black looking as the other brands. Supposedly it leaves more of a lighter blueish-gray looking coat, but it is said to be extremely durable.

I'm going to see how well the stuff I already have works after after running the stainless scouring pad from big 45 over the metal that needs cosmetic attention. Oh, the bores on all of my firearms seem to be in very good condition.

Re: Firearm reconditioning: How to remove rusty spots WITHOUT removing any of the bl

Just to chime in and concur:

I inherited a few guns when my stepfather passed away and he had not taken care of them in years (they were in foam or fake lambswool lined soft cases under his bed in the So TX humidity for years).

The stainless steel wool and oil is amazing honestly. It will not remove pits (obviously) but surface rust is gone quick, and you can put more elbow grease into it than you would think without removing the blueing.

I was sure the very nice old Wby .25-06 was gonna look like crap forever and it brought it back to beautiful deep blue and all the rust was gone.

Just a trick we were taught in Gunsmithing School 25 years ago.... steel wool contains a LOT of oil from the manufacturing process... your problem is to get it out. Chemicals are only to be used as a last resort - we have enough pollution without adding to the problem. Lay the steel wool on a fire-prof surface and ignite it to burn the oil off. Works like a charm. OXPHO blue from Brownells is the best for some uses... you will have to decide if your firearms fall into that usage. Keep your powder dry.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts