Fire forming Norma 7wsm

tbrice23

I am going to fire form some Norma 300wsm cases in my 7wsm fireforming barrel next week.
I've always used Winchester 300wsm cases for this. I neck turn .0015" off, neck down to a false shoulder and fireform with full power loads which makes sharp shoulders. Winchester is tough brass.

Other cartridges I've used Norma and am on the 7th firing on my 6AI brass.
However, I have read more that once that a milder load on the 1st loading will work harden the primer pockets of the supposed "soft Norma brass".
I don't really know if using mild loads is a good idea while trying to fireform brass.

Would anyone suggest using say H1000 or a really very slow powder and heavy for caliber bullets for fireforming to save wear and "work harden primer pockets" (if that is even a thing)?

I am going to fire form some Norma 300wsm cases in my 7wsm fireforming barrel next week.
I've always used Winchester 300wsm cases for this. I neck turn .0015" off, neck down to a false shoulder and fireform with full power loads which makes sharp shoulders. Winchester is tough brass.

Other cartridges I've used Norma and am on the 7th firing on my 6AI brass.
However, I have read more that once that a milder load on the 1st loading will work harden the primer pockets of the supposed "soft Norma brass".
I don't really know if using mild loads is a good idea while trying to fireform brass.

Would anyone suggest using say H1000 or a really very slow powder and heavy for caliber bullets for fireforming to save wear and "work harden primer pockets" (if that is even a thing)?
I have heard that same statement about primer pockets, but I seriously doubt that it can be validated.

I fireform with a medium load and use whatever bullets are laying around, usually pulled bullets or light for caliber bullets I wouldn't otherwise use.

Full house loads and heavy pills MIGHT give you close to full forming for your chamber, but I suspect would be detrimental to primer pockets.
JMO

Right.
And as far as Norma being soft... well I haven't seen evidence of this and I do NOT shoot "man bunn, skinny jeans" loads.

I don't know if this will help, but I have 4 Weatherby calibers and reload with their brass. While I like their cases and they generally last long enough, the first thing to go on them is the primer pocket. I believe Norma makes Wea cases.

I shoot a lot of Norma brass and have not noticed any problems with it being soft and I'm usually pushing it. I do find primer pockets loosen up at 6-8 firings with full power loads. I can live with that on hunting rifles.

morning, I shoot weatherby and norma brass, only thing I have found is
the primer holes in 2 boxes of norma brass were small and I use a
primer pocket reamer to ream the primers holes to normal size.
GBOT TUM

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.