Fire forming 17 Hornet brass

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by DLFant, Jul 20, 2013.

1. DLFant

DLFant Well-Known Member

Hello

Does anyone have any experience making 17 Hornet from 22 hornet?

A friend made a bunch years ago for the 17 AI by necking the 22 down and then fireforming. I was lookig for any one who has done for the new 17 Hornet . I got a rifle today but cant find any ammo.
    Also does anyone have any of either brass or any 30 Gr 17 Cal. bullets they wanna part with?

2. mitchell

mitchell Well-Known Member

its a simple cut and dry process. use a little extra lube and run it through a sizing die . must people i've talked to use the cream of wheat method but i just loaded them up and took them to a prairie dog town and they really shot quite well.

not sure if you bought reloading supplies yet but i had great luck with 20gr midway dogtown bullets and H110. lil gun did almost as well.

3. DLFant

DLFant Well-Known Member

Thank you for the reply and the info. What is the Cream or Wheat Method?

DL

4. mitchell

mitchell Well-Known Member

its way of fire forming brass . you take a fast powder (pistol powder) put a small charge in the case then fill the rest with cream of wheat and plug the top with a toilet paper plug and fire . then boom fire formed brass without wasting a bullet. in my 17 ackly my fire forming loads shot plenty good enough so i didn't see the need of wasting the powder.

5. DLFant

DLFant Well-Known Member

Thanks

Learn something new every day!

6. rmorgan9718

rmorgan9718 Well-Known Member

if you don't like plugging the barrel with TP, try using candle wax. Just push the candle down on the top of the round enough to leave a 1/8" plug.