Finially touched off a few .......

41mag

Well several years ago I managed to pick up a new barrel in 30-30 AI for my Contender. After much debate on wether to haul it to a gunsmith to have open sights installed, I decided that I would just hold out. Then a while back Midway put some bases on sale and I picked up a couple to fit the T/C's. I also had just pulled the Leupold 4X off my Redhawk 44 mag, so it all sort of went together.

The past few weeks I have been burning up the road between here and my Mom's place taking her to get some past due medical issues resolved. Then my daughter comes up with some stuff which scared the bejeebers out of us as well. So while all this is going down and I am in the country with time on my hands I decided to play with a few of my newer toys. I worked up a couple loads for my Taurus Ragin Bull which was quite a blast literally, as well as put a few factory rounds through my 30-30. I was very impressed with the .5" groups I got especially using the factory stuff in the long chamber. Yes it went boom and shot very well, but I found the primers were extended from the pockets on all cases after firing. No bigie I had the ammo from someone and nothing else to shoot it in so figured I would at least see what the recoil was like.

The 454 was another story. I got up into some mid range loads with it and decided that was far enough. I was running some 260 gr JHop's out at just under 1700fps and found that was quite enough for me. They were very accurate and had pleanty of energy. I am using a 10" sch 80 ell which was welded to a weld neck flange then galvanized. It was a cut off from a project out at work. It looked just like a bullet trap when I saw it sitting in the scrap iron bin, and it works great. The 260's managed to move it back around 2" whiel it was sitting there on the sand. Hell even my .308 didn't move it when I tested it to see how it was going to work out.

Anyway I managed to find a bit of peace in all the turmoil and when it was all said and done, we all came through it in good health and not too much worse for wear.

Good to hear things worked out all the way around!!

Why only 260s in the 454? What are ya, some kind of wimp? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW- was scrounging around the closet the other evening and found a trophy from a NALC cow dog trial I attended down in Wills Point, TX. Me and ol' Phogg (my catahoula) sure didn't come in last. Woulda done better but the horse I borrowed was a dink and had rebar from tail to ears. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The only reason I got to borrow that one was because it bucked its owner off on the previous run. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif The thought they were going to get one over on ol' Roy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But hell, that was in '93. I was still young. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Why only 260s in the 454? What are ya, some kind of wimp? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well not to many years ago I would have had no problems running up to the full potential of this round. However after having both elbows fixed from torn tendons not to long ago, and knowing how much that can effect day to day life, I have decided that I might try to take it a little easier on the parts, as they just don't seem to hold up as well anymore.

I got 500 JHP's from Lock Stock and Barrel last year and figured they would be good for shooting hogs and such with, as well as keeping me from buying several brands only to shoot one or two. BTW, what are you shooting in your new wheelgun?

As for the hayburners, I pass. You need to ask Tim about those burrowed critters, one of them bout put him out of commission. Tried to make him out like a wishbone.

Thanks for takin' the kiddin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I don't even have a wheel gun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Though, my next purchase will be a 45LC. Back in 'the day' the hand gun of choice was a 41 Mag. I was young and dumb and loaded it hot. Grip was too smooth so I checkered the whole thing to keep it from sliding in my hand. It really worked but tore the hide loose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif That hurt for days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif It was my wrists that were the weak link w/recoil.

Take care of those elbows, they're the only ones ya got.....

[ QUOTE ]
Grip was too smooth so I checkered the whole thing to keep it from sliding in my hand. It really worked but tore the hide loose. That hurt for days. It was my wrists that were the weak link w/recoil.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess we must have all tried that. W/ me it was a 44 mag with 240 gr JHP in a TC. It was good for shooting fish because just like in horseshoes, close counts.

A long time ago, I had that 41 Mag on my side (Super Dakota no less /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif) when we came back from Challis for groceries. On the way back, just before Morgan Creek Road, a momma coon and some half growns crossed the road.

I jumped up and started blastin'. Was gonna get me a fur cap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

After reloading I finally caught the slowest of the half growns and put my foot on it to hold it down. Then ol' wonder boy Roy points the hog leg at its head and would have fired but I suddenly remembered the odds were greater of me shooting myself in the foot than hitting that little sucker. (True) I just kicked it in the butt and sent it off to mama.

I shot hundreds of rounds out of that thing at jack rabbits and never hit a thing. That piece of junk left me without ever killing anything. They young coon was the last straw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I shoulda tho't about fishing with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I think that everybody that likes wheel guns or handguns for that matter should own at least one gun built by John Linebaugh , I've got a 475 and plan to get a 500 one day my 475 is built on the Ruger Bisley revolver and the power that thing has is awsome and the recoil isin't nearly as bad as a Tuarus Raging Bull in 454 I' shot a few times.

"I think that everybody that likes wheel guns or handguns for that matter should own at least one gun built by John Linebaugh "

I considered one several years back but it never materialized. I have pleanty of other trinkets to pass the time with. From the .30 Carbine Blackhawk up through the Bull. I purchased a IAI Javiline in 10 Mm many years ago and have caught a ton of crap over it from a lot of folks who thought they were trash. I guess I was lucky as mine has never had any problems that weren't user inflicted and it generally always hit just where it was aimed. I have evne hit a paper plate at 500yds with it once. LOL I do admit it took two shots.

Roy,

On those 41's, they are really good if you don't try to pierce primers with the loads. I have had two of them the first I bought on my 21'st birthday and it was a Ruger BH 3 screw flat top. I shot it for several years then came across a Redhawk and swapped for it. I have had it now for about 15 years and have done all I needed to do with it. It will roll a 250# sow just as hard as the 44 will out to 75 or 100yds and will shoot right there with the best of them. Tim just picked up a S&W that he has fallen in love with. He shot a couple of less than 2" groups with it at 50 yds from a rest, and after he gets some time to really practice with it he might even be able to get there off hand. Mine has done it way to many time to think it is a fluke.

As for the Ragin Bull, yep it has some recoil, but that really has never bothered me in the field. I was shooting from the bench the other day and it didn't take long to start feeling the effects. Several months ago, I rocked out 50 rounds through it which were close to top end loads. The primers were pretty ironed out and the recoil wasn't as aweful as the groups. LOL The three folowing days however were definately an indicator that I probably shouldn't keep that up or I would be back seeing the fellow who repaired me the first time.

I like the 125 and 158gr loads in my .357's, the 170 and 200gr loads in my 41, the 180gr loads in my 10mm, the Rem. 240gr JHP in my 44, and really haven't found one Particular one for the Bull yet. I am however looking at some of the bigger cast bullets to try out. I really only have the hogs to play with down here and so far haven't felt undergunnesd with the 41, but figure I owe it to myself to work up something good for them with the Bull just for kicks.

Mike not to hijack the thread . what kind of work do you do ive been a pipe welder for the last 39 year's just curious is all i like your idea with the 90 and flange

DB

I work as a millwrite/mechanic. I have done quite a bit of pipefitting through the years on some side work I took on to put away some extra cash.

The thing about the ell is that you have to be somewhat elevated or it will have some spray back as the bullets impact. I tested it out using both my .308 and my STW to see how it was going to react being hit. The handguns I have shot into it so far have hardly left any marks except the 454 which left some nice smear and splatter marks. The rifles however did leave some dings but they all went into the dirt for the most part. THe 454 was giving some splatter back on the paper target I had set up around 4" in front of it, but nothing bigger than 1/8" at the biggest.

I have a shooting house my daughter and I built that the edge of the bench is probably 5' off the ground. This gives me some downward angle on my closer shots. For the longer range backstops, I use some18 - 24" sections of oak or hickory 3 - 4'long, which has fallen on our place over the years. Due to the fact I don't own a tractor, (yet), I simply chop off what I need and haul it over and stack it up behind the target holders. It takes quite a few rounds to get through the seasoned wood, and it is fairly easily replaced.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts