Building a short mag off of rem action

cowboy717

Well i think i have a change of plans. Originally i was thinking of building a rifle in a saum. But the action came in and looks like its an undesignated action. So im really considering building a rear grip sp! How would i go about doing this? Ive been drooling over some of the pistols here for a while and had no luck finding a cheaper xp to build off of so this may be my best bet! I want to build it for long range hunting and target shooting and really thinking of one of the short mags. Guys got some ideas where to start? Thanks guys!

Well i think i have a change of plans. Originally i was thinking of building a rifle in a saum. But the action came in and looks like its an undesignated action. So im really considering building a rear grip sp! How would i go about doing this? Ive been drooling over some of the pistols here for a while and had no luck finding a cheaper xp to build off of so this may be my best bet! I want to build it for long range hunting and target shooting and really thinking of one of the short mags. Guys got some ideas where to start? Thanks guys!

I'm not really sure what you're asking. You didn't say what make/model action you bought. You didn't state exactly what was marked on the 4473. You didn't state your age or what state you live and want to hunt in.

Read the 1992 Supreme court case of the US vs Thompson Center. It outlines how your choice of barrel length, stock selection, the owners age and federal laws interact. It's not easy reading, but my understanding is if you bought it as an "other" receiver on the 4473 and you're 21 you can assemble it as a pistol and use it as a pistol or rifle as long as you obey the 16" barrel / 26" overall length when it has a shoulder stock. You can only sell it to someone 21 or older. I'm not a lawyer.
You're state laws determine what you can use for hunting.

I would assemble it with a barrel over 16 and with a pistol grip and a detachable (or interchangeable) shoulder stock. Then I could use it as a pistol or a rifle without it being an SBR. I have a few firearms like that.
A SAUM boltface can be used with SAUM, WSSM WSM, and some belted mag cartridges. I'm assuming it's a short action. What is the magazine length? In a short action you can shoot lower drag bullets with WSSM series of cartridges which have similar case capacity to a 308 Win. At least consider them in your selection. Muzzle energy will of course be higher with the SAUM or WSM cartrdidges. Consider the ballistics of whatever bullets and whatever cartridge will fit in the magazine including muzzle blast and recoil in your decision. There are lots of choices.

Then you have to get a barrel made with decisions on length, weight, contour and chamber to match the cartridige and bullet's you choose. Then you have to come up with a stock ( find one, have a custom made, or do it yourself), and decide on suitable sights or scope.
It's lot of time, work, and cost. Maybe even worth the effort,

Sorry for the rambling. I purchased a remington short action with a mag bolt face from brownells. First plans were to build a rifle. But it occured to me that it was undesignated and could be a pistol mayne. Im wanting to keep it pretty heavy and shoot it with a muzzlebrake and rifle scope. Calibers i have in mind are 7wsm or saum.
Also im 28 so i can legally own a pistol. Haha.
Basically what i was askin for is where to get a stock? Barrel length? Barrel weight?

Im from Missouri. And i havent yet picked up the reciever.

Give me a holler on Monday and I can help you out.
307-257-7431
Sorry for the rambling. I purchased a remington short action with a mag bolt face from brownells. First plans were to build a rifle. But it occured to me that it was undesignated and could be a pistol mayne. Im wanting to keep it pretty heavy and shoot it with a muzzlebrake and rifle scope. Calibers i have in mind are 7wsm or saum.
Also im 28 so i can legally own a pistol. Haha.
Basically what i was askin for is where to get a stock? Barrel length? Barrel weight?

Im from Missouri. And i havent yet picked up the reciever.

cowboy
If your close to Western KY. Call me one weekend and you can shoot a couple of mine. Iv got a 300WSM, 284 and a few others. Ernie can help you alot. He got me started.

Ken 270-703-1508

Ernie- i will try and give you a shout sometime but i work tonight. Anytime work best for you?

Ken- i live in north central missouri. Not too far away. I may have to take you up on the offer though!

During the day is usually better (Mtn time)
Ernie- i will try and give you a shout sometime but i work tonight. Anytime work best for you?

Ken- i live in north central missouri. Not too far away. I may have to take you up on the offer though!

No problem just give me a call. We shoot about every weekend.

Ken

Check out this stock...

PackReady2.jpg

Well the pictures aren't showing up for some reason, but there is a company that is making a pretty sweet stock. Its made by Alpine Gunworks and they should be available soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.