Finding the range past a rangefinders ability?

Lancet

Hey guys I am super very very interested on how to learn to calculate the range of a target using my mil-dots in my scope. Anyone know how to do this? I want to shoot further than my rangefinder will go and if you guys have any special ways of finding that range please let me know!!gun)

Pick up a Mil dot master.It is like a little slide rule and if you know the size of your target it is very easy to compute the range and which mil dot you should aim with.Range finders are great;but I find they will read intervening brush and not the correct range quite often.Sometimes if you have brush at mid range you know the flight of your bullet will clear it;but the laser range finder can't read through it.Midway -Dillon and many others sell them.

The range card app for android is cool, put my yote Saturday night at 606 yards...center of road to fence post measurements on the 80 acre plots I hunt are a perfect 880 and 440 yards and its dead nuts on our known distance targets, think if time permits, range card and shooter will make some interesting shots...

The range card app for android is cool, put my yote Saturday night at 606 yards...center of road to fence post measurements on the 80 acre plots I hunt are a perfect 880 and 440 yards and its dead nuts on our known distance targets, think if time permits, range card and shooter will make some interesting shots...

Can you get it for an iPhone?

Lancet, just check your app store. Look up range card, its $5 on the Google play so store for android not sure for an iPhone...I've been looking for something like this for a long time...Google earth has line measurements but no line of sight, this is line of sight,elevation change and baring..

If you just wanna use your mil-dot scope it's simple

First make sure your scope is set for the mil to = 1 mil

If you know your target Measurment in inches you...

Inches X 27.77 divided by how many mils tall your target is

Example if 36" is 2 mils tall you do this

36x27.77=999.72

999.72 divided by 2 mils = 499.86

Or If your target Measurment is in yards like 6' or 2 yards and it measures 5 mils in your scope
You do this

2yds x 1000 = 2000

2000 divided by 5 = 400 yards

I hope that's understandable lol

I use a leatherwood M1000 wich is virtually the same scope we used in Nam in the 60's it is an ART and a killin machine out to 1000 yards then I use the mill dot system I used in the military it has never failed megun)

I used the range card app and shooter app to "kill" a milk jug with first shot at 815 yards hangin 4' off the ground ...10-12 mph right to left wind, -2 degree look angle, 168 grain berger 300wsm factory hsm load....

check out holland shooters supply and check out his stuff his reticle and training material is hard to beat.

Pick up a Mil dot master.It is like a little slide rule and if you know the size of your target it is very easy to compute the range and which mil dot you should aim with.Range finders are great;but I find they will read intervening brush and not the correct range quite often.Sometimes if you have brush at mid range you know the flight of your bullet will clear it;but the laser range finder can't read through it.Midway -Dillon and many others sell them.
Definitely.

At one time the master of the mildot master was a poster here and I believe he's a sponsor.

The shooter app also has a "calculate distance" mode that will works with either Mil dot or MOA reticles to judge range of a known size target. It works terrific if you are exact with your inputs.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.