Finding the perfect barrel length

It really depends on the game. Long range most including myself would give up some true precision to get the speed which will provide better ballistics. The thing we are all weakest at is reading the wind and the velocity does matter. I don't think most of us can shoot the actual difference in precision based on barrel length but we can shoot the difference the velocity affords. My personal compromise is 26". I don't understand suppressors and I don't understand short barrels unless you are traipsing through thickets in which case a precision rifle is not even needed and most would be better off with a gun from Walmart or a cheap rifle from a pawn shop.
Yep that makes sense. I have just been deciding on going 26, 28, or 30 inch steel barrel for my next 338 Term build and think I am going to go with a 26 or a 28.

Here is a simple summary from varmintal.com that I quoted in post 3 above.

Here they did take into account different powders, same bullet at each barrel length. It was for the .223 as I pointed out in post 3 above.

View attachment 442754

BARREL LENGTH VS ACCURACY.... Richard Lomax at AccurateReloading.com used a Sako S 491 rifle in 223 Remington caliber for the test. He shot 5-shot groups with 3 different powders as he proceeded to shorten the barrel on the rifle. It is difficult to see the trends in the data tables posted here at http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html. I used Richard Lomax's data and created plot files of the data so the trends can more easily be seen. Here are the complete set of curves I used to view the data and show the trends.

ACCURACY SUMMARY.... Collecting the three average group size curves on one plot shows that a barrel length of between 16 to 17.5" in length
appears to produce the smallest groups and the best accuracy.

Interesting, once you find the best powder for group, it stays that way
at each bbl length in this example. The answers for different powders don't really appear to radically change the optimum barrel length for accuracy ie good groups either.
As I noted, it was not what MDT was trying to do.

As I noted, it was not what MDT was trying to do.
Yes, I understand it wasnt their scope, just saying it would be very interesting.

What the data from Varmintal seems to say is that in checking group size with bbl length, the harmonics of the system seem to outweigh to a large extent the optimum load development at each length, crown or not.

Length seems to matter most.....ie, whipiness, harmonics. etc.

Yes, I understand it wasnt their scope, just saying it would be very interesting.

What the data from Varmintal seems to say is that in checking group size with bbl length, the harmonics of the system seem to outweigh to a large extent the optimum load development at each length, crown or not.

Yes, because of rigidity.

Yep that makes sense. I have just been deciding on going 26, 28, or 30 inch steel barrel for my next 338 Term build and think I am going to go with a 26 or a 28.
That really depends on what you want. If you just want to reach out go at least 30. If you want to hunt with it 30 is a little cumbersome especially with a brake.

That really depends on what you want. If you just want to reach out go at least 30. If you want to hunt with it 30 is a little cumbersome especially with a brake.
Yep great point. It would be strictly a hunting rifle! Agree that 30 with a brake could be a bit much to be carrying. I believe you have actually mentioned that in your post when you were selling your 338 Term.

My favored barrels are #5 - #6 contours & 24-26 inch long, .224 to .308 bore - they appear to have a combo of good vibes., less blast & higher velocities but are not easy to lug around.

I would avoid a #1 contour of 24-26 inches in any caliber.

I would anticipate an eventual drag effect with length. Accuracy would be affected by attaching barrels together with machined threads if the axis was not exactly common. I did not see any mention of crowning the barrel after each cut. It was mentioned that inner reflections were observed, these might have been interference rings (optical phenomena) and would indicate barrel was clean for 1st shot which would in turn affect velocity (shown by spikes in graph) & accuracy - if the barrel was cleaned after each cut.

Observe a Palma match with .308W, 155 grain bullets & 30-inch-long barrels having a "Palma contour". My thinking is that barrel contour affects accuracy and practicality affects barrel length.

Run the test again with a 36-inch-long, single unit, fat tapered barrel cut off in 1-inch increments & carefully recrown after each cut. Bed action & barrel shank as a single unit using tough steel reenforced epoxy. I think accuracy would reach an optimum level at some point, but velocity would reduce at different rates depending on amount & type of powder.
"

Last edited:
My favored barrels are #5 - #6 contours & 24-26 inch long, .224 to .308 bore - they appear to have a combo of good vibes., less blast & higher velocities but are not easy to lug around.

I would avoid a #1 contour of 24-26 inches in any caliber.
Yes, in .338, the longer and skinnier the bbl the less accurate it will be. But for hunting, and carrying especially in mountains weight is very important and likely some accuracy and some velocity will need to be sacrificed at the altar of handling and practical use in rough terrain.

Id try for a 24 inch bbl. with total weight no more than 8lbs. before scope, and live with the velocity and accuracy that gives you. Big magnum calibers have to be heavier I think to compensate for more bbl length
ie, heavier diameter, more rigid

You might get very good accuracy from 24 inches with less bbl diameter, and less weight and sacrifice some velocity.

Another reason that barrel length likely outweighed the importance of powder or bullet selection, ie, load development in this example was that the whole premise of good grouping is dependent on which way the barrel is pointing at bullet exit timing. This is true for OCW theory, and its true in all the FEA analysis Varmintal has done at varmintal.com

So finding the length of the barrel on the system on your rifle that gives you the least whipiness, and most consistent barrel pointing position at the muzzle at exactly the bullet exit timing is what gives accuracy or good groups. You can on the margin affect bullet exit timing with load development, but compared to the barrel length the contribution of the ammo is fine tuning or its "on the margin", not the major contributing influence.

I pick the "perfect" barrel length for whatever bullet I want to shoot in a rifle under what conditions using Quick Load. I did not read the article since I can't imagine what would be in it. There is no such thing as barrel length vs "accuracy." You can get precision groups from any length barrel. But if you want to optimize something like a 53 gr Vmax in a 22-250, some barrel lengths don't buy you any extra velocity due to the quantum nature of precision barrel times.

I pick the "perfect" barrel length for whatever bullet I want to shoot in a rifle under what conditions using Quick Load. I did not read the article since I can't imagine what would be in it. There is no such thing as barrel length vs "accuracy." You can get precision groups from any length barrel. But if you want to optimize something like a 53 gr Vmax in a 22-250, some barrel lengths don't buy you any extra velocity due to the quantum nature of precision barrel times.
If you design with right specs, ie, longer barrels heavier and more diameter and design the bolt and system right yes you can get good accuracy.

But a long skinny barrel will generally have more whipiness, more harmonics, and less accuracy, especially in magnum calibers.

5 shots from 300 WM at 100 yds with a skinny 24" bbl that vibrates like a piano string. If you reload, you can make the bullet exit the barrel when the muzzle is quiet. Or you could alternatively lug an 18 lb rifle around the mountains.

Attachments

• 73-3_RL26.jpg
    73-3_RL26.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17