Finding Right Load

Elite Muzzleloader

When your looking for the right load when your setting up for competition shooting do you test several different powders and bullets? I recently found a great load for my 243 but can't find any more IMR 4350 and I'm running out. So I switched to Varget and Hybrid 100v to test. Varget showed a little promise but I have 2 ladder test set for 100v and Hornady 105 Amax and Berger 95 VLD Target.

Just wondering if you try several different loads to get your gun where it needs to be for competition?

RL-22 is a very accurate powder with heavy weight bullets in 243. Now Alliant has
RL-23, which is about the same burn rate as RL-22 but it is temp stable. RL-23 has been getting some rave reviews in short action 308 based cartridges. I plan on trying some myself someday.

I don't try to run through all kinds of powders, especially for a comp rifle. Last several years it has been get what you can find and tailor it to your needs. Most times though for accuracy, I tend to try tested powders for that bullets that are a little faster than the medium burning powder for that cartridge and bullet. RL-22 and RL-23 set right around that spot.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.