Finding a reduced recoil load

The Oregonian

My son is getting close to being old enough for his first rifle. Still debating what cartridge...243 would work but I am also considering a 260 or 7-08 and just backing the loads down a bit for range work.

For those that have done reduced loads, where is a good place to start? Do you go with a % of regular loads, look for certain MV, or the something else? Been reloading a couple of years and not a seasoned veteran but not a beginner either.

Thanks in advance.

My son is getting close to being old enough for his first rifle. Still debating what cartridge...243 would work but I am also considering a 260 or 7-08 and just backing the loads down a bit for range work.

For those that have done reduced loads, where is a good place to start? Do you go with a % of regular loads, look for certain MV, or the something else? Been reloading a couple of years and not a seasoned veteran but not a beginner either.

Thanks in advance.

The easy way to reduce the recoil is to use lighter bullets.

The 7/08 is a very good cartridge to start with because of recoil and to maintain energy and stopping power.

I have loaded everything up to a 168 gr bullet and gained very little in performance, especially at 100 to 400 yards.

I would recommend starting with a 120 grain bullet @ around 3000 ft/sec to minimize recoil and later on if you want to go with a 140 you can but the velocity will drop about 200 ft/sec and the recoil will increase.

40 to 45 grains of Varget will put you in the ballpark with the 120 gr bullets and recoil will be mild/manageable.

J E CUSTOM

I have a lightweight 6mm built for smaller beginners. I had it braked awhile back, and it really doesn't need reduced loads. Especially with lightweight bullets.

I have a lightweight 6mm built for smaller beginners. I had it braked awhile back, and it really doesn't need reduced loads. Especially with lightweight bullets.

Sorry, let me be more clear....I may buy a 243 and shoot regular loads or may buy a 7-08 or so and try to use reduced loads early on (this will be first gun he has shot above a 22).

Thx

The 260 or 7-08 would serve your son well. I bought a model 7 260 for my wife. She is a small person and she can handle it well. I load 130 accubonds with a mild charge of h4350 to keep pressure down and keep recoil to a minimum. When my boy are old enough to start hunting they will be using this gun. You may want to think about getting a 223 or the likes as a trainer, that way he can work on technique and not have to worry about recoil. Good luck to you and your son.

I've also noticed faster burning powders yielding less felt recoil. If you have time you might experiment with this aspect as well.

........ You may want to think about getting a 223 or the likes as a trainer, that way he can work on technique and not have to worry about recoil. Good luck to you and your son.

I would second that, if your open to other choices.

The young fellow shooting with me do much better with the Tikka T3 "Scout" .223, than with some of the other choices in the safe. I've got a T3 CTR in 260 also, to duplicate most of the features to move them up to.

I've done reduced loads for a few new shooters and I'm doing this with a 7-08 for my girlfriend . for Denise I'm using a 120 gr nosler ballistic tip with a slightly reduced load of H4895 powder . H4895 can be used to greatly reduce the load . hodgdon has info on youth loads that explain the 60% rule . then as he gains experience you can keep loading it up . one other thing I've noticed working with new shooters is the bang is as bad as the recoil . I'd have him wear ear plugs and muffs to keep the noise down . as he gains experience you can change this too .

https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895 Reduced Rifle Loads.pdf

Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading

I downloaded my Browning A - Bolt Micro hunter .308 with 125 Nosler Ballistic Tips and it performed great ! My 10 year old got a complete pass through on a medium size doe , Never once complaining about recoil while practicing or on the hunts .

223 is a good idea and if anything I would rather work up gradually so he doesn't get gun shy or develop a flinch. I had thought about going straight to a 243 or 260 from a 22, but a 783 with scope for $349 is not bad - well worth the investment IMO.

Once he is fine with that a 243 or 260 would be fine.

My father didn't hunt deer, only birds, so he had me shoot a friends gun, which happened to be a 270. I had shot a 20 gauge and a 22 prior to the 270, and a shotgun may have similar recoil to a 270 but when shooting skeet or birds I never really notice it, and as someone else mentioned, the bang of the 270 is noticeably more than a 20ga. I then bought a 270 and developed a flinch not too long after that. I share that bc, if anything, I will lean to the other end of the spectrum with my son and bring him along in steps even if it takes a little more time and $$ to get to his first deer.

I ran a few numbers through quickload for you to ponder on . the load data came from the hodgdon web site . recoil data from quickload . every thing is based on a total rifle weight of 8 pounds .

223 55 gr max load gives 3.46 ft lbs recoil

260 rem 100 gr H4895 powder

max 38.0 gr gives 7.91 recoil
min 35.0 gr gives 6.77 recoil
60% 22.8 gr gives 3.02 recoil

260 rem 120 gr H 4895

max 38.0gr gives 9.91 recoil
min 35.0 gr gives 8.53 recoil
60% 22.8 gr gives 3.85 recoil

7mm-08 120 gr H4895

max 45.0 gr gives 12.62 recoil
min 41.0 gr gives 10.57 recoil
60% 27.0 gr gives 4.75 recoil

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.