Filling the caliber gap... what?

Hummm...

I see Savage offers the 25-06, maybe I'll have to grab one of those and then get a 280AI switch barrel setup going. Ahh.. the choices..

Hummm...

I see Savage offers the 25-06, maybe I'll have to grab one of those and then get a 280AI switch barrel setup going. Ahh.. the choices..

you should give the sako a7 a try, I got one in 25-06 a few years ago and that thing is amazing, its the one factory rifle I like better than my tikka's...

you should give the sako a7 a try, I got one in 25-06 a few years ago and that thing is amazing, its the one factory rifle I like better than my tikka's...

If I'm not mistaken, Sako makes and markets Tikka. I'm not sure how to properly categorize Tikka, as it really isn't "value" or "lower-end" in the context of the competition. Maybe like Buick to Sako's Cadillac? Nice guns in my limited experience.

agreed a 25-06 is necessary and as an in between for the 308 and 300 wm you would have to get a 30-06 wouldn't ya?:D

If I'm not mistaken, Sako makes and markets Tikka. I'm not sure how to properly categorize Tikka, as it really isn't "value" or "lower-end" in the context of the competition. Maybe like Buick to Sako's Cadillac? Nice guns in my limited experience.

Correct. Sako used to make the Tikka as their general pop range. The only real differences in the past were just fit and finish and cosmetic details. Not too sure nowdays what differences there are as I haven't dealt with either for a long time. in the past the sakos tended to have a better finished barrel than the tikkas but both were **** fine rifles. as you said one is like the car with mags and spoiler and the other was like the coupe deville with all the pretty bits attached I.E. the fluffy dice. lol:D

The Tikka is just made with all plastic parts and uses a closed top long action for all calibers. It uses 3 different bolt stops for .223, SA and LA. The magazines are all the same size but there are stops in those as well to limit cartridge length depending on caliber. The nice thing is you can use the LA mags with SA calibers as long as you swap or modify the bolt stops. Barrels are all the same between Tikka and Sako I believe.

I'm going to pass on the 30-06 and the .25-06 as there just isn't enough benefit over the .308 and the .260 in those two. I think a 7mm is where it's at.

If you are a handloader, then you don't have a gap. The 300 WM is a one rifle battery suitable for anything on the north american continent. Although, the 110 grain Speer SP at 1800 fps might be a little heavy for tree squirrel, it will nonetheless suffice.

To an extent I agree. I've not used anything less than 180s in my 300WM and should probably do some exploring with the lighter bullets. It's just I have a lonely spot in the safe and feel really bad for it. :D

Dont know what your intended use is, but since no one has mentioned the 6.5x284, I'd throw it in as a good middle point. Custom or a factory Savage or Cooper in long action it has great ballistics, superb accuracy, and very capable killing power for medium game to 1000 yards, varmints further. Its very versatile with a 140VLD at 2950-3000FPS.

Yeah, I've been back/forth on the 6.5x284 b/c it is only about 100fps over the .260 and substantially worse on barrels. I'm sure I'll do a Savage barrel swap at some point just b/c I want to try one.

Yeah, I've been back/forth on the 6.5x284 b/c it is only about 100fps over the .260 and substantially worse on barrels. I'm sure I'll do a Savage barrel swap at some point just b/c I want to try one.

I dont claim to be an expert, but I'm a 6.5 nut and have done a lot of loading and shooting of the 6.5's, mostly the 260 and 6.5x284. Also know quite a few people that are as well. I'm not saying it hasn't been done, but I haven' seen a 260 get within 200+ FPS using the same barrel length with optimal load combinations, and work out well. The reported recipes I have tried personally, and, seen others try have produced over pressure conditions, poor ES and accuracy. I now look at much of the 260 high velocity claims of the 260 with great skepticism. I really like and shoot the 260 a lot, but I'm my experience, given decent rifles, anything the 260 can do at 700 yards, the 6.5 x284 can do at 1000. I believe it's superior position amongst the 6.5's is well founded. Barrel life isnt much different than many of the rounds that produce its performace at long range. I think when you get around to trying one, you will be pleasantly surprised. IMHO.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.