Fill a gap

Kingsgr8

What calibre do you recommend to fill the gap between a 22-250 and the Winchester 270? I also have a 270 WSM 30-30; '06 300 WM and lesser than the 22-250.
Would like to use it for 'yotes; deer and maybe short range elk.

What calibre do you recommend to fill the gap between a 22-250 and the Winchester 270? I also have a 270 WSM 30-30; '06 300 WM and lesser than the 22-250.
Would like to use it for 'yotes; deer and maybe short range elk.
Your gap is .24 or .25 cal. My preference would be .25 cal. Depending on the action, .257 WBY loaded with 145 Black Hole bullets will significantly extend that short range for elk.

Last edited:
'Yoties 3-400 yards; maybe more depending on the gun & myself. Deer keep it under 300. Elk only if I get the chance under 200 yards as when I hunt them I'll have something bigger in my hand. 😁
I'd do a 243 win or 6mm rem, but build it on a long action so you can seat bullets out further. You're right on the edge of point blank range with the lighter bullets going fast for coyotes. Any further than 300 you'll want a heavier bullet anyways. Lots a great options for deer bullets and they usually work good on coyotes also. If you want the rare chance at elk, I'd load up one of the many copper bullets these days and not look back. If you want just one load, then copper bullets would be my choice, but that gets expensive shooting at coyotes at time or leave elk off the list and that gives you a lot of cheaper options.

Shot a lot of deer with 100gr Hornady Interlocks when I was a kid. The ranges your talking that's a good cheap bullet that'll work. Shot a few with the original Barnes X bullet and it did a good job also.

'Yoties 3-400 yards; maybe more depending on the gun & myself. Deer keep it under 300. Elk only if I get the chance under 200 yards as when I hunt them I'll have something bigger in my hand. 😁
You state you have an 06, and that handles everything you described and more. I like the .308 and recommend it but it's interchangeable with the 06 in what you described. Are you going to choose to hunt with the smallest caliber you own when you have both deer and elk tags in your pocket?

I like 6mm/.243 caliber rifles I have five rifles in four different chambers. I've killed deer, pronghorn and varmints with all of them. They all stay home when I have an elk tag. I just like the larger caliber holes when it comes to game larger than deer.

Sure a 6mm cartridge will dump an elk. However, it'll never be in my top 10 list. However, you listed three already that would.

270 WSM 30-30; '06 300 WM

The .30-30 would make honorable mention for me. I happen to own a Rem 788 bolt action and it likes the Hornady 160gr FTX rounds. It's fully elk capable, but I don't think my Win 94 would make the cut.