Fiftydriver, A QUESTION ON WILDCAT TERMINAL BALLISTICS

älg

Kirby, I am really interested in wildcat bullets. They seem to give very good results, outstanding accuracy. But when using the ULD HP´s, what is their effect on game at different velocities?

DO they behave like a match bullet say a MK, or like a hunting HP bullet ? One thing is to hit something out there, and a different one is to drop an animal at those extended ranges.

I am currently shooting a 7 rm, am waiting for a 6,5 -284 and probably will go with a new 300 rum. So let´s say something like a 142 or 150 grainer HP ULD is shot from the 6,5.284.....or a 175 from the 7 rm.. or a 210 from the rum..... what will be the effect of this bullets on game ( it is understood the game to be shot is proportionate to the caliber.

What happens with a close range shot? you can expect long shots but maybe you only have a 60 yds. chance in a hunting trip.

I know Richard G. also offers bonded bullets, but their long range performance cannot probably equal the hp uld ( flat based, and a generous meplat with the mag tips).

IN conclussion, will those ULD bullets be reliable from the terminal ballistics POV?

Thanks.

Alg,

This is a bit more complicated then one would think to provide an accurate response to your question. The reason being is that Richard uses several differnet jacket designs on his ULD bullets depending on caliber and weight of bullet.

Some of his jackets used on the ULD HP designs are the same jackets used on the Berger match bullets, the J-4. Now I also know Richard is trying to get away from these jackets because there have been some issues that have casued some problems that are a result of this light jacket.

He also has some heavier tapered jackets that he uses on some of his calibers that are much better suited to big game hunting.

So to answer your question best I can, some will act exactly like the commerical match bullets while others will offer much more traditional big game bullet terminal performance on game.

The best thing to do would be to drop Richard an e-mail and ask what jackets he would recommend for your specific use and he would get you exactly what you needed.

As far as his BC bullets. Yes they are lower in BC then his ULD RBBTs but not by as much as you would think. These are stout bullets and the only thing I have seen with these is that at times, in smaller calibers, they are actually overly stout.

Again, best thing is to contact Richard and tell him what you have and what you will be shooting and at what possible ranges, from the muzzle to X yards. Then let him recommend what he feels would serve you best.

Like you said it is all dependant on the game targeted with the bullets used. His Heavy ULD HPs are great for any deer size game even at closer ranges.

Just drop him a line at [email protected]

Have a great day,

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Kirby, I ´ll contact him directly.

BTW, congratulations on your AM´s , they are great.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts