Fierce vs Christensen Arms vs Springfield 2020 Waypoint vs Rem 700

Cholla

I have a Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag. While I bought it a decade ago my shooting has been at 100 yards or less. It is now mounted on a Bell & Carlson stock. Now that I am back in Arizona I am wanting to up my game and start hunting out to 800 yards. Would I be better off getting a quality BC scope such as Huskmaw, Leupold, etc, or selling a kidney and getting a Fierce, Christensen Arms, or Springfield Waypoint and building from there? I also have a 1968 Winchester Model 70 in .270 that I am thinking of getting a better stock for and building up.

Advice?

I know some of you have had bad experiences with Christensen Arms, so I am not too hip on going that route unless something has changed with them since 2018.

So sounds like you are tossed between new rifle or using what you have. Far be it for me to tell someone not to get a new one. For long range practice, I wouldn't spend the money on one of those rifles either. You could always rebarrel also.

I would agree with above. Good glass, but I would put it on the 270 and shoot heavier pills with it. I had a 270 and shot the 150 Bergers. Use this one to practice. You can swap the scope and save the 7RM and components for hunting.

It would be worth asking what your ammo choice is also. If you dont reload I would personally look to the more premium type ammo. Plenty of choices. I mostly reload but had some great results with Nosler Trophy Grade in the past, but again lots of good choices out there.

If you do reload, disregard as you should be able to get good consistency and accuracy with a little load development.

Since you have mostly been at 100yds, keep in mind some loads have groupings that open up more than you would expect at longer distances even if they seem tight at 100.

I do reload and have purchased a selection of Berger/Hornady/Sierra bullets to experiment with. The only magnum primers I can find are Winchester which get bad reviews by some on this board. I have a pound of RL-19 and I have about 200 cases (used) from a friend but they are all Hornady and WW which also don't get good reviews. I think I need to build up my mad money account so I can invest in some Nosler or Lapua brass.

I would run with whatever primers you can find.

If you try one brand and find a negative result, you can always trade them for another brand. All primers are tough to get, so having some to trade may yield what you want if they don't work out

I worked up a load for a buddy who bought a Fierce, was not impressed. I would handle one before you buy, feels like a Tikka with some upgrades to me. His was also very lightweight... not something I would want for any type of longrange hunting. I got it to shoot 3/4" with a lot of work to find the right load. Personally I'd never own one.

I worked up a load for a buddy who bought a Fierce, was not impressed. I would handle one before you buy, feels like a Tikka with some upgrades to me. His was also very lightweight... not something I would want for any type of longrange hunting. I got it to shoot 3/4" with a lot of work to find the right load. Personally I'd never own
Tikka actions are smooth as glass. Other than that there's no comparison other than I've never had a tikka not shoot !! By far best bang for your buck.
The early fierce where garbage but the edge and rival are fantastic. What model did you load for ?
And a tikka feels nothing like a fierce !!

Last edited:
I agree with everyone above, I would get a good scope first and shoot the 7mm. It will do everything you will need a long range rig to do. If and when you decide to upgrade look at the Seekins PH2. It's less money than a Fierce, way better quality than a Christensen.

I agree with getting a good scope first. However, If I upgraded it would be a Christensen Arms. Yes, some of the earlier ones had issues. I have had 5 of them since 2018 and all were very well built and very accurate. All were sub MOA shooters and three of them were .5 MOA shooters. For the money IMHO they are the best option. Also any time I have had questions they were very responsive and helpful.

I have a Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag. While I bought it a decade ago my shooting has been at 100 yards or less. It is now mounted on a Bell & Carlson stock. Now that I am back in Arizona I am wanting to up my game and start hunting out to 800 yards. Would I be better off getting a quality BC scope such as Huskmaw, Leupold, etc, or selling a kidney and getting a Fierce, Christensen Arms, or Springfield Waypoint and building from there? I also have a 1968 Winchester Model 70 in .270 that I am thinking of getting a better stock for and building up.

Advice?

I know some of you have had bad experiences with Christensen Arms, so I am not too hip on going that route unless something has changed with them since 2018.
Keep the rifle maybe get a new scope with custom turret, if the rifle doesn't perform then get a new rifle and you will already have the scope