FFP scope for an elk rifle

No problem. I know it's tough. For what they're asking, I might have to just pick one up and give it a try. Don't really have a need for it at this time, but always interesting in trying new scopes.

Attachments

• IMG_20220226_115757369_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220226_115757369_HDR.jpg
    624.4 KB · Views: 109
I just wanted to follow up and say I got my LRHSi from @Stk and it seems great so far. Thanks again for all the help everyone, looking forward to working up some loads and getting out hunting this fall. It's not super lightweight by any means, but handy and balances well.
PXL_20220303_215449939.MP.jpg

Hi guys. I know there are lots of similar threads and I've read many of them. But spending other people's money is fun, right? I'm looking for a scope to put on my .284 Win Tikka for an elk hunting trip to Colorado this coming season:
View attachment 341714
It will be my first western hunting trip, but I've been deer hunting in MN and WI and shooting PRS style competitions out to 1k so I'm at least a decent if not amazing shot. I want the scope to enable a harvest out to 600 yds.

I'm set on:
- 3-18ish mag range
- FFP, mil
- locking elevation turret
- not super heavy. I'd live with up to 32 oz, but would prefer <28 oz (1.75 lbs)
- $1k or less preferred, but I could swing up to $1250 (and can get a Tenmile or LHT for that due to a friend with dealer pricing)
- Will retain a zero well. Forgot this initially as I feel like it should go without saying, but given recent contentious forum posts on the LHT, maybe not? I've read all of that and not sure what to make of it.

I tried to include every decent scope I could find that meets that criteria on the list, but doesn't include an OG LRHS/LRTS as they're so hard to find (esp the 3-12). No, the PST doesn't have locking turrets but wanted it there for reference.

View attachment 341715

What have I missed, and of that what would you all recommend? Thanks.
swarovski z-5 3-18

Sharp rig.

I chased lightweight for awhile, but now I don't mind shlepping some extra weight up the mountain. For one a good scope is going to go 20-25 ounces, and 8-9 all up seems a good weight to wring a lot of accuracy out of most set ups, yet not be too onerous to carry a lot.

Overtime I think you'll be happy with that set up.

Nice rig, lightweight is up to the person carrying the mass up the mountain. There is a big difference between 9.5-10.5lbs rifle/scope platforms & 7-8.5lbs setups…I've got a few that fit both categories, all are equally as deadly out to 1,000 yards. If I can't get into500-600 yards, chances are the wind is not right, losing day light or something else is hindering my attempt to close the gap.

The best thing we as hunters can do to prepare for a hunt is not what we put in our packs…it is the physical training we do do in the offseason that will allow us to concur our goals & achieve our dreams!

Your going to Colorado where the mountains are tall & vast…the air is thinner than a dollar bill!!!! Get your strength & cardio up, it will pay dividends on your adventure! I lived between 10-14k for 6 months of the year as a guide in unit 43 (Maroon Bells, Capitol Peak Area). Altitude sickness is a real thing and have seen grown men show up unprepared only to send themselves home because they did not prepare accordingly.

Godspeed

By what criteria are you concluding that the Mk5 and LHT are the only good lightweight options for long range hunting?
Pretty much imo. Theres other lightweight scopes by Zeiss and Swarovski (etc, high dollar) but try to find one with a good mil reticle thats ffp parralax adjustable with illumination(for low magnification in dark woods).
Show me ANY other scopes that are under 26 oz, variable power/ high magnification, ffp, with a good mil reticle, illuminated, parralax adjustable thats not the Mark 5 or Razor HD LHT. I can only think of one by Maven and it might be a sfp and low magnification.
Plus I can get both the Leupold and Vortex for under/about 1500 bucks depending on the model through their VIP/mil discount programs. So any other scope that might meet that criteria is going to be 1000$ + more.
So considering price and my personal spec's theres only 2 choices.

Pretty much imo. Theres other lightweight scopes by Zeiss and Swarovski (etc, high dollar) but try to find one with a good mil reticle thats ffp parralax adjustable with illumination(for low magnification in dark woods). Show me ANY other scopes that are under 26 oz, variable power/ high magnification, ffp, with a good mil reticle, illuminated, parralax adjustable thats not the Mark 5 or Razor HD LHT. I can only think of one by Maven and it might be a sfp and low magnification. Plus I can get both the Leupold and Vortex for under/about 1500 bucks depending on the model through their VIP/mil discount programs. So any other scope that might meet that criteria is going to be 1000$ + more. So considering price and my personal spec's theres only 2 choices.

Thanks for sharing your thought process and findings.

For my part, I don't care for very high X on a big game scope, so I have a few more options open that'll fit under the weight you referenced.

I like to use the lowest X feasible for shots on game - I've found it easier to spot hits and see game reaction, and faster to settle in and steady up for the shot. As such, for FFP, I've pretty well settled on the SWFA 3-9 or Bushie LRHS/LRTS 3-12 for straight up hunting rigs that will get carried a lot. Both are under 25 ounces. The SWFA and LRHS aren't lit, but their reticles are highly usable throughout the X range. I've also experienced better tracking and RTZ with these models than I have with some other comparable brands and models I've used.

To a certain extent, I've stopped making scope decisions based on weight. I factored it in more years ago and I didn't always have the best results. I figure a few more ounces isn't going to be the difference in making it more miles in, or in getting over the next hill. On a rig for fast shooting in heavy cover weight might be more impactful from a balance standpoint, but on anything I might dial, it's going to be on a rest of some sort anyway, so I just want it to reliably put the bullets where I want them to go, even if that means it weighs a little more than I'd like.

Thanks for sharing your thought process and findings.

For my part, I don't care for very high X on a big game scope, so I have a few more options open that'll fit under the weight you referenced.

I like to use the lowest X feasible for shots on game - I've found it easier to spot hits and see game reaction, and faster to settle in and steady up for the shot. As such, for FFP, I've pretty well settled on the SWFA 3-9 or Bushie LRHS/LRTS 3-12 for straight up hunting rigs that will get carried a lot. Both are under 25 ounces. The SWFA and LRHS aren't lit, but their reticles are highly usable throughout the X range. I've also experienced better tracking and RTZ with these models than I have with some other comparable brands and models I've used.

To a certain extent, I've stopped making scope decisions based on weight. I factored it in more years ago and I didn't always have the best results. I figure a few more ounces isn't going to be the difference in making it more miles in, or in getting over the next hill. On a rig for fast shooting in heavy cover weight might be more impactful from a balance standpoint, but on anything I might dial, it's going to be on a rest of some sort anyway, so I just want it to reliably put the bullets where I want them to go, even if that means it weighs a little more than I'd like.
Am old and, lazy. So when I get off the couch at 750 ft start humping at 7500 ft weight adds up quick. I have a lot of SWFA's, a 6 12 20 3x9x40 and a 1x6 hd. For cheap their gtg. Never had one go bad yet, got 2 bad ones from the factory, both didnt hold zero. Got two bad Athlons, a Argos btr and a Ares ETR that wouldn't hold zero as well.
I put my scope at about 15x and shoot a prs match and leave it there unless the stage is 900+, or I cant find the plate. But if your hunting alone more magnification to judge game isnt a bad thing. And to see what the mirage and grass is doing on target. Imo 1x for every 100 yards is too low. 2x is better, for LR hunting.
I pretty much go by heavy for target/tactical, light for hunting and AR's.
Better to have and not use then need and not have. But what do I know, not much, its all personal preference really.

Recent Posts