FFL shipping question

DerekFSU

I need to ship a gun to a shop in a different state so I know I have to use an FFL to send it to their FFL. I want it there next week when they open up after Christmas but don't have a copy of their FFL and haven't been able to get in touch with them.

If I'm able to find someone who does have a copy of their FFL, can I legally send it to them without them knowing it's coming?

If it's not a transfer you can send it to them for repair with no problems. I wouldn't send anything without signiture required though and that would meen they need to be open. So I guess you can send it but do you really just want it to show up with them not there or expecting it?

Thanks LL. It would arrive on the day they open and by then I'll be able to talk with them. I was under the impression that to ship firearms, even for work to be performed and not a transfer, that it had to be via FFL's. Thank you.

Thanks LL. It would arrive on the day they open and by then I'll be able to talk with them. I was under the impression that to ship firearms, even for work to be performed and not a transfer, that it had to be via FFL's. Thank you.

The receiving FFL may require that it comes from another FFL, but it is not per regulation.

But, since you're sending it in for work, it's generally understood that it will be coming directly from you and not from another FFL.

From everything I have talked to the feds about that if it's crossing state lines AND changing ownership it needs to be FFL to FFL.

I see so many ads that say "your FFL must accept shipment from a private individual" it confuses me. I called and talked to the ATF and they say that an individual can not ship from out of state to your FFL and then have it transfered to you. They say illegal and it seems to read that way but also it seems like lots of people doing it......???? wierd.

It is not changing ownership. It is being shipped to a gunsmith for work, and then back to the owner, NO transfer.
I bought and action from Lawton, they shipped it to my FFL dealer, I filled out the paperwork and picked it up from him.
I then put the action in a box and shipped it to a gunsmith in Montana, he built a rifle around the action and shipped the RIFLE back to me, NO FFL either way as the ONLY transfer of the serial numbered part was from Lawton to me.

Dave

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?FAQID=1118&NoCount=1

God bless the government, they make it so simple. It's coming from a FFL (they built the rifle), to another FFL for work to be performed working up some custom loads, and then to my FFL to take ownership. I too always thought moving a firearm across state lines needed the involvement of a FFL but never thought about it being temporary possession as opposed to a change in ownership.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.