Feeding issue with rem 700 la 6.5-284

BUSTINDOGS

I have a Remington 700 long action that I built a 6.5-284 Norma on. I am having issues feeding from the detachable box mag which is the factory Remington mag box. The rifle was a 30-06 which I hunted with fro years and never had an issue with it in that configuration. The issue is the cartridge pops out of the mag box and up to high over the top of the bolt. Thinking about cutting the sides of the mag box back to make up for the length difference between the two. The difference being .177 or roughly 3/16 of an inch. Thought I would check in here before I start removing material.

Thank you

I will be watching this with a keen eye, as I have exactly the same issue with a sako 75

That was previously a 25/06, until I had it re-barrelled in 6.5-284.

I was thinking the same, cutting the lips back on the magazine to allow the round to release a little earlier.

You can convert to an old style floor plate or convert to a single stack magazine (AICS type)

That is all.

Imo the old floor plat is only a slight improvement.

I put a 6.5x284 barrel on my ruger precision rifle since it will accept M14 mags I took one and bent the feed lips a little more open which allowed the larger in diameter 284 case to sit up high enough for the bolt to grab then cut the face of the mag out so the cartridges could have a longer oal. Then I had to weld some tabs back on the corners fo the face so the mag would staytight in the mag box. The last mod may test your patience but bending the feed lips isn't too bad and they can be bent back. good luck

I've a few coverted 65284 from 06....std btm metals...haven't had any cases pop up like you are stating.....
Might it be that your follower spring(s) might be too heavy.....
or...
Could it be the follower itself is wrong design allowing the case to shift to early in mechanics.....

Just ideas

It sometimes takes some work on formed metal magazines to get rounds to feed right. The first thing I check is the inside and top edge of the lips. They are stamped out, (If their Axe was dull) the edges may have burrs that will grab into the Brass shell case and things will go down hill. Adjusting the lips can make a clip feed proper. If changing the diameter of the case, The lips of the magazine may have to have the radius of the lips bent to match the radius of the new case. And follower may have to be worked on or changed too.
The spring needs to bring the shells up snug against the lips of the magazine and hold firm, But not to tight, From capacity to last round.
The bad thing is, If a loaded magazine is dropped on a hard surface, The weight of the loaded rounds will turn the magazine over and the lips will take the hit, And sometimes the problem starts over.
If you have more than 1 detachable magazine for a gun mark them, If a problem occurs, The problem magazine can be identified.

I started this thread about 6 years ago, wow how time flies. I corrected the feeding issue by bending the lips on each side of the magazine until it was open just enough to feed a round without the rounds popping out. It's kind of a fine line. I have sense shot that barrel out and I'm on the second 6.5-284 barrel. It runs flawlessly now.

I have a Remington 700 long action that I built a 6.5-284 Norma on. I am having issues feeding from the detachable box mag which is the factory Remington mag box. The rifle was a 30-06 which I hunted with fro years and never had an issue with it in that configuration. The issue is the cartridge pops out of the mag box and up to high over the top of the bolt. Thinking about cutting the sides of the mag box back to make up for the length difference between the two. The difference being .177 or roughly 3/16 of an inch. Thought I would check in here before I start removing material.

Thank you
You're going to have to bend the feed lips on the mag ,play with it until you get the right heights in the rear and angle for the nose to feed smoothly. I've had one for years and had to do this on all my mags. I haven't cut any metal at all just adjust lips.

IMG_20210502_140031837.jpg

The rifle on the left was the one with feeding issues