Favorite Truck Gun- Lets hear about your favorite truck gun.

Roughrice

Truck Guns:

Most, if not all, farmers, ranchers and mountaineers carry their favorite truck gun everywhere for personal, livestock or crop protection.

As a farmer:
My current is a stainless Savage 110 Storm in 223 Rem. I bought it when they first came out in a bundle deal with a 3-9x40 Vortex Crossfire BDC scope. The sun has baked the cheap anodizing on the scope to a pinkish color.
Although it has never ever been cleaned... it shoots 1/2 MOA with my Mexican Match ammo, which is bulk Tula 55 gr fmj pulled and seated with cheap factory seconds 55 gr V-Max. Only a bit of chamfering of the crimp to seat the flat base bullet and done.
It has taken many different species of depratory animals and varmint such as wild hogs, coyotes, racoons, nutria, mink, rats and birds.

What is your favorite truck gun?

Last edited:
I think that there was a recent post similar to this one truck guns.
We have a Keltec PLR16 that I converted to a SBR. .223 with a Red Dot.
It is easy to maneuver and accurate. Always have it when driving through the woods to fill hog bait stations or check cameras. I had it with me in the truck last night while looking for Cassie, but then crawled out of the truck to see if Cassie was on the back property and left it in the truck. I then ran into some coyotes. Lucky for them.
I can also use it for CCW when I am out. I put it in a Paslode soft case.

Attachments

• SBR CCW.jpg
    SBR CCW.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 96
  • SBR Supressed.jpg
    SBR Supressed.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 95
  • SBR.jpg
    SBR.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 93
Right now in the case behind the seat it's a 648 and a glock 22. The behind the seat gun rotates from various 17 rimfires depending on how tight the birds are holding. Early indication is the birds are abnormally dumb so the Mach 2 has ruled the roost.

Have mine bouncing around next to me right now. It's the original savage hog hunter in 308. It was the first (and only one for a good while) in Amarillo when they first came out. I bedded it into a factory wood stock, and replaced the irons with some old Lyman express type sights. It wears an old leupold 3-9 and a dead air nomad can. Rifle has accounted for more coyotes, hogs, whitetail and even a stud aoudad (what a surprise it was to see that thing), all because it's what I had with me.

Years ago was a Marlin 336 in 30-30 but didn't want to ruin it.
Then tried the Ruger 10/22, then a 17 HMR.
Neither had enough power and range so put my Ruger 77 all-weather stainless 223 in the truck (pictured in avatar) until I bought the Savage Storm stainless so I wouldn't beat up the Ruger.
I actually bumped up and shot a 205 pound 9 pt. whitetail and jellied the lungs with a 55 grain V-max that's hanging in my wall.
No… I don't hunt deer with it. It was one of those "at the moment" opportunities that I confidently had a great shot on.

Now its just what ever gun I throw in. When I lived on the ranch there was always an 870 shotgun or a Mod 70 218 Bee in dads truck. Later he got a Mini 14 and put the Mod 70 back in the house. My brother still farms the ranch and moved the Mini 14 into the spray shed. After seeing it in the corner for a couple decades I traded him out for a Savage Axis 223 for the mini 17. So still the 870 and now a bolt 223.

Now its just what ever gun I throw in. When I lived on the ranch there was always an 870 shotgun or a Mod 70 218 Bee in dads truck. Later he got a Mini 14 and put the Mod 70 back in the house. My brother still farms the ranch and moved the Mini 14 into the spray shed. After seeing it in the corner for a couple decades I traded him out for a Savage Axis 223 for the mini 17. So still the 870 and now a bolt 223.
Ah! I did have a short time with my Ruger mini 14 stainless ranch rifle in the truck but it was too nice to keep there.
I was also afraid of someone stealing one of my nicer rifles.

I didn't realize there was a previous thread on truck guns!

Sorry about that.
It was a Post from 2019 but revised in Nov 2022
Still nice to see you bring it up and maybe see some new Truck Guns!
Thanks
Len

I got a couple of the ruger Americans in 223 that took ar mags. Wasn't planning on keeping any but wish i had kept more then one. Got them just for guys chasing wolves but they sure are handy to have around!
A 30 rd clip is a lot of shots in a bolt!!
On a snowmobile with clip in it stays flat too and doesn't beat you up.