Favorite shotgun

I got lucky and all but the 870 were given to me . My dad is trying to make me into a shotgun hunter / trap shooter . As I've also got a win 101 and a cenergy and a Antonio zoli all with 32 inch barrels. I am not a shotgun shooter I fail to follow thru . It takes me some time to pull my head outa my but and remember to follow thru.

Mine is the 1940's Winchester Model 12 that I inherited from my grandfather, it's a 12 gauge with a 30" barrel and a full choke. I shot a lot of trap with it back in the day, even getting my first 50 straight with it, until I shattered the firing pin. Replaced it with a titanium one but have now relegated it to a hunting gun that I occasionally take out to shoot some clays.

The metal is a bit worn and the stock needs some finishing as it now has pores that have a tendency to rip the hair out of my beard which makes it somewhat unpleasant to shoot. Currently on the fence between refinishing the stock or adding a leather cheek/recoil pad as I want to take it out this winter the first time I go pheasant hunting over my first bird dog.

The metal is a bit worn and the stock needs some finishing as it now has pores that have a tendency to rip the hair out of my beard which makes it somewhat unpleasant to shoot. Currently on the fence between refinishing the stock or adding a leather cheek/recoil pad
There's always that shaving thing! I usually give up shaving from September to about March.
May I ask what breed of dog you have gotten?

There's always that shaving thing! I usually give up shaving from September to about March.
May I ask what breed of dog you have gotten?

I dunno, I shaved my whole life then decided to see how I'd look with a beard. Two months later got a girlfriend that is now my wife and she loves the beard so I guess it stays. Happy wife, happy life as they say.

As for the dog we got a field bred golden retriever, her name is Cedar and she really likes pheasant feathers so I can't wait to get her on some live birds in a few months once she gets older. She turns 6 months the beginning of October and I want to take her to do some hunt training some time in the January to March time frame.

IMG_6293.jpeg

I dunno, I shaved my whole life then decided to see how I'd look with a beard. Two months later got a girlfriend that is now my wife and she loves the beard so I guess it stays. Happy wife, happy life as they say.

As for the dog we got a field bred golden retriever, her name is Cedar and she really likes pheasant feathers so I can't wait to get her on some live birds in a few months once she gets older. She turns 6 months the beginning of October and I want to take her to do some hunt training some time in the January to March time frame.

View attachment 485762
Nice looking pup. Good luck with your training and enjoy the ride.

I'd really like to but I've already exceeded my yearly allotment on new guns. And now the need to feed these guns are really eating me up. I'm asking myself, "when are you going to stop?" 😂
Trust me, I understand. I've been downsizing to keep my operating costs down. Now if I could only figure out how to block my access to the classifieds!

G
Mine is the 1940's Winchester Model 12 that I inherited from my grandfather, it's a 12 gauge with a 30" barrel and a full choke. I shot a lot of trap with it back in the day, even getting my first 50 straight with it, until I shattered the firing pin. Replaced it with a titanium one but have now relegated it to a hunting gun that I occasionally take out to shoot some clays.

The metal is a bit worn and the stock needs some finishing as it now has pores that have a tendency to rip the hair out of my beard which makes it somewhat unpleasant to shoot. Currently on the fence between refinishing the stock or adding a leather cheek/recoil pad as I want to take it out this winter the first time I go pheasant hunting over my first bird dog.
Gotta love those Model 12s!!!

Seems like the 1100 is a popular choice.
I have a Remington model 58 in 16 gauge.
I believe this was Remingtons first semi auto. Still in good shape and goes bang and cycles every time. Just a safe queen now that only comes out for a wipe down.
I have an old 58 that my uncle used to take hunting in Northern Cali (Tule Lake,Goose Lake and Klamath region) in the 60's and 70's. I cut the barrel down for a self defense house gun. A couple years later started feeling guilty about it and rounded up a couple replacement barrels to make it good again. Not necessarily my favorite, but one with good memories. My favorite is an older Beretta S56E that I had a stockmaker shave and checker up into an English straight stock. Very comfortable shooting 12 gauge, mod & imp...

have an old 58 that my uncle used to take hunting in Northern Cali (Tule Lake,Goose Lake and Klamath region) in the 60's and 70's. I cut the barrel down
I cut the barrel down on mine also.
It was a 28" full choke and at the time of purchase I needed a grouse gun so I chopped it. Works great for tight quarters grouse and pheasant but it's a quite open pattern now.

G
Gotta love those Model 12s!!!

Coincidentally enough a good buddy of mine gave me a 20 gauge with a 26" modified choke as a wedding present, turns out it was only 2000 or so off of the one I had which puts them both made in 1947. That one is in much nicer condition and barely broken in. I'm going to use the pair of them as my main bird hunting shotguns.