Favorite powder for 300 win?

Looking to shoot 180 grain pills out of 28" barrel.
Was going to see what the consensus was.
I'm somewhere in the middle.
I've had a few years under me, learned a lot from members on here and a buddy down the road that used to shoot long range comp.
73.2 R22 with HDY ELD 200gr. .7" 5 shot group from my 26" - did not note the speed, sorry.

G'day Andrew
You in Australia??
Yes. Tasmania in fact where on one day you can freeze your arse off and the next be in shorts and T shirt sweating your guts out. Lol
That is why I prefer ADI powders ( Hodgon extreme) as the same point of aim an velocity ist achieved regardless of the weather.

Yes. Tasmania in fact where on one day you can freeze your arse off and the next be in shorts and T shirt sweating your guts out. Lol
That is why I prefer ADI powders ( Hodgon extreme) as the same point of aim an velocity ist achieved regardless of the weather.

Not long finished the .300WM in my avatar built it on 212grn ELDX and AR2217 so far doing very well only fired 30 rounds and it just on drills one hole at 250 yards
Tazzie is next on our travel list in about a year
This morning up here in Gidgegannup its bloody freezing lol but will have warmed up enough in about a hour to go have a look for pigs up on a mates farm they have totalled his crop we have got a few but the really big ones are playing hard to get, taking my CZ 550 Lux .300 with me

Not long finished the .300WM in my avatar built it on 212grn ELDX and AR2217 so far doing very well only fired 30 rounds and it just on drills one hole at 250 yards
Tazzie is next on our travel list in about a year
This morning up here in Gidgegannup its bloody freezing lol but will have warmed up enough in about a hour to go have a look for pigs up on a mates farm they have totalled his crop we have got a few but the really big ones are playing hard to get, taking my CZ 550 Lux .300 with me
To be honest I have not yet tried the 2217 powder. I might have to give it a try. Yes cold here too atm. Those bloody pigs are a menace. Don't have much of an issue with pigs down here though, mostly deer issues. Those pigs can get pretty big, make the American variety look like piglets. They movie "razor back" wasn't all that far from the truth. Haha.

I load a 338 lapua for a client that loves to shoot them from a distance so they dont get spooked. Drops them like a rock.

H1000 first, RE 22 and RE 26 second.

For years my elk load has been H1000 and 180 Partitions.

I find that RE 26 and 220 grain Noslers are more accurate at 3/4 MOA. But 180 and H1000 is hard to beat ~ accurate enough at about 1 1/4MOA, less recoil and flatter shooting.

These groups were shot at 100 yards and were 5 shot groups.

I use IMR 4350 with Remington 9 1/2 primers (standard primers, not magnums) and load to 70 grains. It duplicates or exceeds factory loads from a 24 inch barrel and gives me 5 shot groups of 1 inch or less at 100 yards, depending on the make of the projectile (Sierras and Nosler BTs are generally under .65in. and Speers around .75 inches.). MVs of 2950 up to 3050fps with these powders is what I get from my Remington 700 with 24 inch barrel. I haven't chronographed the 26 inch barreled Remington yet. I'm just lazy, I guess.

To be honest I have not yet tried the 2217 powder. I might have to give it a try. Yes cold here too atm. Those bloody pigs are a menace. Don't have much of an issue with pigs down here though, mostly deer issues. Those pigs can get pretty big, make the American variety look like piglets. They movie "razor back" wasn't all that far from the truth. Haha.

I load a 338 lapua for a client that loves to shoot them from a distance so they dont get spooked. Drops them like a rock.

Getting some good ideas from this post so went down the loading room, and I've loaded 5 lots of Barnes 180TTSX over AR2217 and a Federal 215m will be shooting Tuesday night down the local long range club under lights , never been there before so should be interesting I'll post the results when I get back
I switched to AR2217 when we had a shortage of AR2213sc over here two years ago and haven't gone back ,
very easy to get a load so far in both my .300WM's with it
My barrel is a Rock Creek heavy Palma match at 31inches plus a terminator T3

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts