Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hornady A-max

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

britz

This one is geared for you "professionals" (no sarcasm or offense intended) who build a custom rifle around a particular bullet. Ie. when you take in account what the throat will be on your rifle. PLEASE DON"T VOTE UNLESS YOU ACTUALLY HAVE A CUSTOM BARREL. Thank you vary much,
Mark. I promise this will be the last poll I post for a while LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
No change same post still custom only I'm not a " Professional" dont get paid to shoot or hunt :D But the rifle was built around a bullet and as luck would have it, it liked the bullet I picked. Reason behind the build is as stated below from last post with a standard Min. SAAMI spec. chamber the SMK fits perfect. Fits the short action touches the lands and doesn't tap into the powder. top of boat tail sits right at the neck shoulder junction. This combo has killed piles of whitetails with excellent results.

Since you mentioned the 300wsm, my go to gun for local deer hunting the vote goes to the 175 SMK. I use it for 0-800 yards. The 175 loaded to 2.860 touches the lands and fits the mag making it a true short action set up.

Yes the SMK will often come apart. BUT it's after entry, resulting in a very dead deer.

I use other bullets also NBT's Bergers and A-max all with good results.

The key to long range for me is not the best super tough greatest bullet ever made. It's the bullet that has superior accuracy and adequate performance. You cant kill whart you cant hit.

Lapua Scenars are the best out there. Once the new 338, 300grn comes available, it will be awesome. Their 6mm 105grn and 6.5 139grn Scenars are awesome too. The 6mm 105grn and the 6.5grn 139grn Scenar are the best bullets out there.

I voted Berger, because the two long-throated cutom rigs that I have are set up for the 7mm Berger 180s.

You should put Bob Cauterucio on your bullet list. He is a custom bullet manufacturer, and lots of folks shoot his bullets. Anyone that does, will need a custom throated set up too.

JeffVN

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts