Favorite 300 RUM load?

Just took an elk in Sep with this bullet. One shot at 1020 yards. Dropped in his tracks.

Here's my specs.

Rem 300 RUM w/28" Bartlein barrel
Norma cases
84.6gr H1000
Federal GM215M primers
Berger 230gr target
2975 fps

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwRL0XOXX8YqNFIySHJYcXZLQzQ/view?usp=sharing

At the risk of sounding like I'm patting myself on the back (why not, our president does it all the time), here is a video of my long range elk hunt in Sep. It was in Idaho with WhitePeaks Outfitters. They are long range friendly, but make you prove you can shoot first. The reason I'm posting here is that I used the Berger 230gr target bullet and the load info above. The shot spine shocked the elk (watch his hind legs tuck up on impact), double lunged, and disintegrated his off shoulder. I would highly recommend this bullet for elk.

Last edited by a moderator:
my favorite load for mine is
us869 100gr
hybrid 215gr .010 off lands
primer 215m
nosler brass
rem700 action with 26"douglass
barrelhttp://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40575&stc=1&d=1415498194
3 shots a 800 yards

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 85
I shoot 95 gr. of Retumbo with 210 Bergers.
OAL of 3.673 to seat in magazine.
Muzzle velocity is 3155 out of a Sendero
Have seen .25 moa accuracy.

Last edited:
New Hunting Load
HBN Coated 230 Berger .000" Jump
Nosler Brass
Fed GM215M
94.0 grains H50BMG
2985 Average SD6 after 18 rounds
Shot two into .25" at 300 and pulled one to open the group to 2". Needs a little more testing, but it looks promising.

Reuben

Kellyz, I don't mean to high jack your thread but I wanted to see if anyone might share similar information using 168 gr Berger Match VDL Target. I am hoping to find a starting point to test three different powders, H1000, Retumbo and 50bmg. If anyone has recipes they might share I would appreciate any info.

Kellyz, I don't mean to high jack your thread but I wanted to see if anyone might share similar information using 168 gr Berger Match VDL Target. I am hoping to find a starting point to test three different powders, H1000, Retumbo and 50bmg. If anyone has recipes they might share I would appreciate any info.
Hope this helps.
BergerVLDLoads2.jpg

Reuben

While waiting to find some RE33 to mess with the 230 gr hybrids, I decided to work a load with Retumbo and the 210 gr hunting VLDs. I've seen good results with 96.0 gr and a COAL right at 3.600" although the signs of pressure were a little more than I'm comfortable with. First tying to maximize COAL and still be able to cycle rounds through my magazine I came up with a COAL of 3.680". I then began at 91.0 gr and worked up in 0.5 gr increments to 96.0 gr. At 96.0 gr, the pressure appears much better than I observed from others. The primer is just starting to flatten and no ejector marks. 3 shot 100 yd group at 0.541 MOA with two touching. I was thinking of next trying to shoot more groups at 96.0, 96.5 and 97.0 gr to find the most accurate load for my rifle. My question is how many others are using 96-97 gr of Retumbo with the 210 gr VLDs?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.