Favorite 100 yard target?

Ucsdryder

What's your favorite precision 100 yard target? If it's too small the crosshairs cover it, too big and it's hard to "center" the crosshairs. circle? Square? Triangle?

This isn't really my preference, but it's representative of what I try to do. I like to print off 8.5"x11" sheets with 6 total boxes. Each box is 1"x1", with 1/4" white space in the middle.

I like to shoot at squares, I can stay centered consistently, and 1/4" seems to allow me just the right amount of space on the sides of the crosshairs without my reticle covering everything up.
266A5015-CDDB-4E43-979E-43C7CAD57C85.jpeg

I prefer crosshair lines.....I have targets built in Excel, with different width lines that match my reticle size......I'd have to double check but I think it's about .25" for 14x scope, and 7/16" for 3x9......I also scaled the size out to 300. When I can't see anything but the crosshair I know I'm centered up. Hanging them level helps keep it centered. I'm not sure how I got hooked on shooting at these but now I struggle with dots...... I really think it's just what you get used to!

What's your favorite precision 100 yard target? If it's too small the crosshairs cover it, too big and it's hard to "center" the crosshairs. circle? Square? Triangle?
Depends on the reticle aiming point. The only 100 yard shooting I do is for load development or checking issues. Almost 100% are a 1" square that I thickened the lines to 1/4" and a 3/4" circle I put a small dot in the middle. I want equal light around or in all four corners to center my reticle/sight They were a midway target I got probably 20 years ago, and I put four of them on a 8x11 photo copy and make them by the 100. Then I cover a 4'x3' TV box and keep shooting it until it collapses. It will last several years with all the paper stacked on top of itself. If I have to I will draw one on graph paper.

I use orange dots on plain white poster board material. You can buy the dots in any size. 1/8 - 1/4" - 1/2" - 1" and larger. All shots can easily be seen in either the white areas or on the orange dots. Targets with black areas make it nearly impossible to see holes that land in the black area of the target.

At 100yds seeing the holes is easier but stretching the yardage out does present some issues, especially when heat mirage is present.

Depending on the scope magnification and reticle design, I prefer a clean red diamond, 1/8"-1/4" for 100 yards, 2x that size for 200 yard work…….to max range.
5718AB72-90D9-4975-851E-67204D7EE9DA.jpeg

Most of my scopes have floating dots, and being I really don't shoot groups at 100, if I need to, I just shoot a bullet hole on the paper and use that. Easiest way to zero a scope I have found.

As you see in my Avatar. I changed my powder and first time at the range this is at 100 yards. My first shot was the bottom. So my scope is 1/8th inch per click. so I went up one click. Then for fun to see if left and right worked I added a up and right and walked it right in.

I also don't shoot that much at 100. It's better to shoot at 200 where you can't see the holes in the paper with you scope only turned up enough to see the dot or what ever.

That way you don't have the tendency to correct your aim point. In the military the standard was 300 meters with our 308's. Then you never know how you did until the target is inspected

One of these three that I use. Easy enough to see at 100 or 200 easily. Gives good reference points plus size grids to help determine both group size and correction adjustments.

.5" small squares w. 1" diamond and bold square
20220205_091950.jpg

.1 MIL small sqaures and .2MIL center circle with .3MIL quadrant squares
20210710_082746.jpg

Good aim point with reference circle above for sighting in 1.5" above POA @ 100 yds.
20200927_085516.jpg

My favorite 100yd target is a 10pt buck standing still, broadside LOL. If I have to shoot paper I like squares best, then triangles.