Fast twist Swift?

With a 9 twist you may not be able to stabilize the 75 gr. The note on the end of the 75gr A-Max's I have says "for 8 twist barrels" as does the Berger 80gr and the SMK 80gr. If you want to shoot the heavier 22 cals you might want to go to an 8 twist, if you go to 90gr you will want a 7 twist. :)

Dave

With a 9 twist you may not be able to stabilize the 75 gr. The note on the end of the 75gr A-Max's I have says "for 8 twist barrels" as does the Berger 80gr and the SMK 80gr. If you want to shoot the heavier 22 cals you might want to go to an 8 twist, if you go to 90gr you will want a 7 twist. :)

Dave

Bullet manufacturers are rather conservative with their recommendations, especially Hornady who always seems to suggest a faster twist than will be needed under most circumstances.

The 9" twist will be fine for the 75gr A-Max. An 8" twist would be better for the 80's and would probably even work for the 90gr in your Swift. I'm sure a few guys here have shot the 90 grainers. Let's see what they used.

The 90 SMK's worked well in an 8 twist out to 800 yards then fell apart. Great results on speed goats out of a 223 WSSM. The next ones were being tested on 7's

Dave

I think the newer made Hornady 75 amax are rated for a 9" twist. They used to be for an 8". But I still prefer an 8" twist barrel so you can shoot a wider variety of VLD bullets.

8 twist is minimal if your wanting to go any heavier than the 80s. My smith just finished my 22-6.5x47 lapua and I broke the barrel in with the 90s. The 90s would not stabilize. While they didnt completely keyhole the bullet holes were easily distinguished in size from the holes left in the target by the 80gr bergers.

I have a Swift that has been a phenomenal gun shooting 55gr bullets with the standard 1-14 twist. I am considering rebarrelling to am Swift AI in a 1-8 twist. I was wondering if there are any opinions out there on a finish barrel length. The current barrel is a 26 and I am considering a 28. And it is already heavy so weight is not really an issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.