factory rifle mis marked caliber stamp on barrel

rjmarine

so i have a factory rifle that left the factory with the barrel caliber stamp wrong
sometime before the rifle sold it was shipped back to the factory to be stamped correct and when it got back to the retailer is was re-stamped but still wrong and i was the lucky buyer of this rifle lol
so has anybody else run into this with a factory rifle ?
if so what did you do about it if anything ?
i think of it like a coin that made it out of the mint with the wrong marking but it could also be very dangerous on the other hand and lead to a huge law suit for that company if that marked caliber were to be loaded and fired .in same cases this could happen and other that marked caliber could not even fit

I would contact the manufacture personally and advise them of the problem and see what decision they make. Be sure to get a E-mail address and send them an a message so you have a written record of the complaint and problem. Have you verified what it is actually chambered ? If you could get a chamber cast to verify what is actually is chambered to back your story. If that don't work call your state attorney general and see if they will take the case as a consume endangerment case of some sort. Good Luck.

Did you get a really good deal?

Did the store you bought it from tell you what it was really chambered for?

Did the store tell you all this history before you bought it?

i misspoke it is not 1 but 2 rifles i have that are marked wrong.
this is how it all started as i was told from dan [ can not remember last name ] from ronan sporting goods in ronan mt. when he was the manager of the gun department ronan sporting goods was the #1 cooper dealer . being the #1 dealer you get to place a few orders that most of us could not. dan placed an order for 30 rifles set up the way he wanted and chambered in what he wanted. some had nicer wood and so on
of the 30 there was 10 that would all built the same on the model 21 action chambered in 25x47 and all had the same stock with the schnabel forend
well when the first half of this order showed up they were marked like this
222-25 which is wrong a 222-25 is a 25x45 [ 223 case necked up to 25 ]
so if you chamber a 25x45 into a 25x47 chamber the odds are it will not headspace right [ sloppy ] and not go bang.
dan then sent these miss marked rifles back to cooper arms and the marked then and sent them back.
this time the marks only had a [ M ] added but even that was put on in the wrong place
after being remarked the new markings read m222-25
cooper arms did get right on the second half of the order with it marked as 25x47
here is a cpl pix of them

Not exactly what I would call a "Factory Rifle" as stated in your title. I'm not confused- I understand fully ???? I'm glad it isn't mine. Good luck

see if this works :)

Attachments

• DSCN2655.JPG
    DSCN2655.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCN2659.JPG
    DSCN2659.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 132
Not exactly what I would call a "Factory Rifle" as stated in your title. I'm not confused- I understand fully ???? I'm glad it isn't mine. Good luck[/QUOT

why be confused ?
cooper does make a lot of off the shelf rifles that are not ordered my the customer
i can see your point a little but these where ordered my a dealer to put into stock on his gun racks. the dealer did not order any custom chambers at all
yrs ago 25x47 was offered by cooper as factory chamber
i just know i have 1 of there old catalogs around here in 1 of these piles of books :D

Not exactly what I would call a "Factory Rifle" as stated in your title. I'm not confused- I understand fully ???? I'm glad it isn't mine. Good luck[/QUOT

why be confused ?
cooper does make a lot of off the shelf rifles that are not ordered my the customer
i can see your point a little but these where ordered my a dealer to put into stock on his gun racks. the dealer did not order any custom chambers at all
yrs ago 25x47 was offered by cooper as factory chamber
i just know i have 1 of there old catalogs around here in 1 of these piles of books :D

You misread my response. I said " I'm NOT confused". I was looking for a Remington or Winchester as being the factory rifle. That would have been interesting- That's why in my first reply I asked what caliber was on the label on the box, and what caliber was actually stamped on the barrel.

I first posted thinking it was a Rem Win Sav OH ME. But with the information posted I stand by my first post. Personally contact the manufacturer and go from there. This problem needs to be corrected.

Case Length
222 REMINGTON----------------------------- 1.700 (43.2 MM)
223 REMINGTON----------------------------- 1.760 (45.0 MM)
222 REMINGTON MAGNUM--------------------1.850 (47.0 MM)

May be hard to find 222 Rem. Mag. cases to make a good supply of brass.
Its your call.

i will be keeping these and not sending back or taking back to cooper
i am not that far from them and they have seen them a few yrs ago
the new owners of cooper arms did not even know they ever made any rifless like these . the stock pattern they used on these they say they do not even have
where did go ? its a very nice to handle stock and fits very well in the hand

as far as 222 rem brass i still have like 100 pc floating around here and i also use 204 brass for another 25x47 i have

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.