Factory fodder for 300 WSM

Dirty Steve

Gentlemen,

I am curious to what some of you may have found to be an accurate load in a Savage 12FV or BVSS. The purpose of this rifle for me at this point is a point blank to 500 yard elk gun. I would like to stretch that out, but am not there yet. I have been shooting Federal 180 gr Nosler Partitions and am well pleased with both the rifle and the load. Accuracy is good, killing "power" is good, but I would like to experiment a little with other offerings this winter. Given the current price of factory 300 WSM ammunition, I would like to see what others may have found before I go and drop $40 plus on each box of ammunition that I intend to try. Call me cheap if you will, but my disposable income is limited.

I would like to get into handloading at some point in the future, but I am not at that point yet for various reasons. As always, any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to your responses.

Dirty Steve

I have been curious as well.. but for now,,in 300 wsm I am sticking with the Winchester 180 grn xp3 for elk and hogs and the 150 grn ballistic silvertip for whitetail..Yep a little pricey at 2.00 per ,, but when the animal dies quick and clean ,, the bullet hits where it is supposed to and is readily available, even at wmart, what is 40 bucks?? I have looked at the fusion but do not like a projectile with a soft lead leading point ... they just disfigure too easily then out comes the pocket knife or fingernail to rework...to point...

Gentlemen,

I am curious to what some of you may have found to be an accurate load in a Savage 12FV or BVSS. The purpose of this rifle for me at this point is a point blank to 500 yard elk gun. I would like to stretch that out, but am not there yet. I have been shooting Federal 180 gr Nosler Partitions and am well pleased with both the rifle and the load. Accuracy is good, killing "power" is good, but I would like to experiment a little with other offerings this winter. Given the current price of factory 300 WSM ammunition, I would like to see what others may have found before I go and drop $40 plus on each box of ammunition that I intend to try. Call me cheap if you will, but my disposable income is limited.

I would like to get into handloading at some point in the future, but I am not at that point yet for various reasons. As always, any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to your responses.

Dirty Steve

Steve,

Just finished load work up in my .300 WSM LH Win Model 70 featherweight which I just had re-barreled with a new 24" SS Bartlein barrel. The best I could groups I been able to achive is in the mid .4's with a 3-shot group with 180 gr Combine technologies. Usual groups around mid .5's to low .6's. which I think is fantastic for a 7.5 lb light weight hunting rifle in a wood stock. The guns nick name is the mule for good reason as it will punish anyone behind the trigger. It's the most unforgiving rifle I've ever shot, but I love it.

I forgot I still had a couple boxes of Fed Premium .180 gr Barnes Triple Shock so I took those to the range as those were the rounds I took to Alaska on my last moose hunt. Best group with those rounds were in the high .5's but I averaged mid to high .6's to .75" moa at 100 yards which I think is also extermly accurate out of my rig. Plus they'd be fantastic on elk.

For deer and hogs here in TX I'll use my 180 gr hand loads, but when I go back to Alaska next fall for moose I'll use the Fed factory ammo with the 180 gr Barnes Triple shock. BTW, getting ready to start a load work up on a box of 168 gr Berger VLD that was given to me. Should be interesting.

Hope it helps

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.