• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED F.S.custom 308win with pixs

308 nate

I have for sale a custom 308WIN-palma match rifle.
Rifle make-up:
Remington 700 blueprinted, helical fluted bolt and oversized bolt handle.
Holland recoil lug pinned to receiver.
Remington factory 308 take-off barrel.
lightly lapped then chambered in with a 308 palma match reamer and then barrel set back and recrowned for a finish length of 25"
Bell & Carlson stock with the aluminum bedding block like HS precision then receiver was skim bedded for stress free fit with marine-tex.
Factory trigger worked to a crisp 2 lbs. and 20 minute base.
H-S precision detachable magazine one 4 round and one 10 round clip.
Price without scope and rings 1350.00
Price with scope and rings 1800.00
(scope is a sightron S 3.5-10.)
( rings are Burris extreme )

I put this rifle together with the intent of selling as I had a lot of the parts around my shop and wanted to see how this barrel would shoot. Well, I have shot 200 rounds through since I built the rifle and I have to say it is a tack driver well under 1/2 MOA and extremely smooth operating. This would make someone a great economical long range hunting rifle. In fair conditions it holds 1/2 MOA at 600 yds. with 175 SMK's and 46 grs. of varget in BHA match brass at 2800 FPS and shot a 1 hole three shot group measuring just over .1 at 100 yds. it repeatedly hold under 1/2 MOA.

308nate

cr4.jpg

cr2-1.jpg

ig3-1.jpg

click on this photo to watch video.

Thats a sweet looking rig Nate , its pretty cool that you were able to squeeze that kind of accuracy out of it. Kinda lets everybody know what kind of work you do.

James,
Thanks for the kind words.
I did inspect the barrel before I decided to use it in the project as Remington has a habit of chambering a lot of their barrels off concentric to the bore and I have not succesfully corrected this problem. This barrel on the other hand was chambered very concentric with the bore so I was able to chamber deeper with my piloted chambering tool with a proper pilot and remain concentric with the bore.When I lapped the barrel the barrel felt really good no tight spots.This is why I only lapped very lightly as to not enlarge the bore. This barrel broke in like a match barrel. Copper fouling was very minimal by shot #10 in my break-in. The barrel also does not walk when it heats up which means it is free of stress. I indexed Remingtons proof marks down and engraved the new 308 palma match chamber. I then teflon coated the flutes and engraving.This rifle can be used for F class, across the course,in modified and open class, with irons and accessory rail. It could be used for match rifle and palma match and in fair conditions be competative in all.
308nate

meichele,
I would consider it, but am not real excited about it as the receiver is bedded to the stock for perfect fit and would need to be rebedded to use another action.

Are you interested in the barelled action with the H-S bottom metal or without?
I would have no problem selling the rifle minus the bottom metal and this would take $325 off the $1350. The stock alone would only take $250 off the price.

$775 for barrel action
$325 for bottom metal with 2 clips
$250 for the stock

If you are interested let me know what you want and we can work out a price.

308nate

Tim,
Yes, the .308 is still available.
I went out today and shot these four 3-shot groups.
I apologize for not getting pix up sooner. A lot of times I will use the same target for other hunting rifles I sight in for others. Unfourtuntely the targets I shot the groups on previously were well shot targets. I had kept one that I had just fired the .308 at, but it was damaged by the weather as I forgot it on my bench. Anyway, for the groups in the photo the smallest group at 100 yds. measures right at .210 and the largest measures right at .4,the group at 300 yds measures right at .8 center to center. all groups were fired one after another. The group farthest right was after point of impact change. The 300 yd target was fired last with 3.75 MOA up from 100.

The load I used was BHA match brass full length sized federal GM210 primers and 46grs. of varget under a 175 SMK with a cartridge overall length of 2.822 and then lightly crimped with a collet crimping die. Muzzle velocity guessed to be right around 2825 fps.

All groups were shot off the bi-pod in the prone position with rear bag from the magazine.

308nate

target100-300.jpg

it is a sweet looking and apparently shooting rig

Happy Birthday Nate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Recent Posts