Extractor problems

johnny k.

This A.M. I discovered that my 7mag Sendero's extractor is broke. It broke right before the lip that catches the casehead. The part with the rivet is still in the boltface. I looked on Brownell's website and think that I need the "extractor, rivet type, belted magnum, pg 412, p/n 767-157-090".
Do any of the resident gunsmiths know for sure? If so, is it just a matter of using the correct size punch to "de-install" the broke one and install the new one and brad it? Help! Any advise/help would be appreciated. Johnny K.

You must take care when replacing the extractor. The small rivet has a beveled head on the inside and the outside has been "upset" or "peened" into a small countersine on the outside of the bolt snout. You can't just start hammering on a punch on the outside of the rivet. The rivet body is quite a bit smaller than what you see on the outside. A little bit of help from a skilled gunsmith or machininst might be valuable on the first rivet that you remove.
An anvil is needed to support the rivet head, inside the bolt snout, when you swadge the new rivet into the countersink on the outside. I made one but they are available from Brownells.

Johnny K,

Whenever I have a Rem 700 come into the shop with extractor problem, I replace them with a Sako stype extractor.

It is a little more costly as the bolt needs to be machined to fit the extractor but the results are a much stronger extractor which will grab a huge amount of case rim compared to teh Rem extractor.

Most extractors I have seen replaced by smiths are installed with the improper angle which I agree is difficult to do correctly with the rivited in extractors.

Spend a little more money and have a Sako extractor fitted and never worry about it again.

If you want more information on these just let me know.

Kirby Allen(50)

Yes, I have several 700/722 with Sako extractors, yes I've installed them for a few friends. But I worry about them. NEVER let a lefthanded person shoot one of your Rem's with a Sako extractor. A blown extractor would hit that person in the face and probably cause serious damage.
I'll use a Sako only to save a bolt that has been damaged. Ya, I'm getting more careful as I get older.

Kirby & Jay,
Again thanks for the encouraging words. If I don't forget I will try to post my response after my bolt/rifle returns to me.
I can't say for sure but hopefully my pressure load testing days are over. You never know though. :> ) Johnny K.

Jay,

How would it be possible for a sako extractor to fly out?

I have installed many of this style of extractors and I machine them for very tight fits as I am sure you do as well.

A large portion of the extractor is actually enclosed by the bolt nose recess in the barrel and the rest is contained by the receiver when the bolt is locked.

I have not witnessed or heard of any problems with teh Sako extractors blowing out of the bolt, would be interested in your experience with this problem.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

My gunsmith has told me the same thing about sako extractors. Hesaid to be carefull with high pressure loads as they will come loose. Mike Bryant talks about this problem with sako extractors on his website.

The Sako extractor is a good extractor, but does have some drawbacks. The only time that I would recommend using a Sako style extractor is when changing bolt face sizes, ie. going from a .223 to a .308 or a magnum size. The Sako extractor has been known to be blown out of the action in the event of a case failure. If you choose to have a Sako style extractor installed, don't load to maximum or excess pressures as you don't want the extractor to become a flying object. If at all possible, keep the original Remington extractor and use an action with the appropriate size bolt face or use another make of action with the correct bolt face. I will only install Sako extractors in Remington actions and will not be responsible for maximum or excess loadings or any other cause of a case failure in the rifle. If you have a Sako extractor installed, remember YOU MUST NOT LOAD to maximum or excessive loads for that rifle.

This is off mike bryant web site

How is the Sako bolt different from the Remington, and is there a problem with the Sako extractor in a factory bolt?
db

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.