Frustrating! sako extractor?

Tikkamike

ok I finally got my 300 Ultra to shoot the 200 LRX great, i worked the load up with remington brass, then I bought a little once fired nosler brass so I could load it up a few times and see how it held up before i loaded up the new box of nosler brass that I have. I have heard nosler brass is a little soft so I didnt want to find out it was too hot and ruin any out of my box of new. Anyway I ended up settling on 90 grains of retumbo at 3100 fps never had any problems with the remington brass. but now some of this nosler brass wont extract. I have checked it on the chronograph and my velocity is the same and no other pressure signs (except they wont extract) my thought is maybe the brass is a little soft and the joke of an extractor that remington uses just isnt enough. So heres is my thought. I am thinking ill take it over to the smith for a sako extractor. any thoughts on this?

Mike, are you getting a firm or hard bolt lift after firing a all? I am thinking that maybe the Nosler brass could have a lower case volume ?? and causing pressure to go up. I have never had problems extracrion with a 700 extractor unless I was getting into the hot zone.

PS: Also, if so, this is the main complaint about Retumbo. You are fine and then you look at it wrong and it goes over pressure.

Jeff

I have never had a problem with a remington extracting cases either but I have always felt it was on the weak side. The bolt is getting a little more friction but nothing significant its a hot load for sure i just dont feel that its too hot at all.... I have never heard that about retumbo, but if thats the case I am not very interested in using it. Last thing I want is to be on the mountain with a case stuck in my chamber. a cleaning rod down the barrel and it taps right out but this is pretty frustrating. Anyone else had issues with retumbo?

Mike,

I am using Retumbo in my 338RUM, I have not had this issue (now you got me worried!), even at 90degees two weekends ago, no issues with Remington brass.... if you do want to have an aftermarket extractor installed, please, use the M-16 style. Sako's scare the hell outta me as there is absolutely nothing holding them in there, at least the M-16 is pinned....

I have an M-16 style in my 338 Lapua and I love it so if you reccomend it why the heck not. I like my other one.im going to mess around with it. another thought I had is maybe if the brass is super clean itll extract easier. its clean now but not freshly tumbled clean, so im gonna mess with that and see. but I dont want it to be finicky like that. I may try the ramshot just to see. but it makes me a little sad cause I have this thing driving tacks now. with 0 ES on my FPS

0 ES? wow, that rocks! The M-16 surely won't hurt anything & add a little piece of mind. By chance do you FL size or NK?? Do you think there could be some lube stuck in the chamber? Just a thought...

I neck size with Redding Type s bushing dies.. I dont think there is anything in the chamber because i use chamber mops every time I clean in the throat and the body of the chamber. ill check it out with the bore scope though. I may even try backing down a half grain and see what that does. I wont be very excited if it backs me down to 3050 though which is about what I remember 89.5 being when i was working up the load.

Mike, load 5 back up with 3 gr less powder and re-test. Then you will know. If you have any H-1000 it would be what I would be working with.

Jeff

Mike, one other thing to look for. If you are only neck sizing and you notice the ones that stick are a little hard to close the bolt before firing, that could also be it, if you are nunning close to max.

Jeff

Mike, one other thing to look for. If you are only neck sizing and you notice the ones that stick are a little hard to close the bolt before firing, that could also be it, if you are nunning close to max.

Jeff

im not getting any that are hard to close the bolt on yet. althought I will keep that in mind. My 338 is hard to chamber for the exact reason your talking about but very accurate

why 3 grains less powder? what will that tell me?? or did you mean .3?

I feel if it is a pressure issue from case volume it wil take 2 or 3 grains to get back below it. Especially with Retumbo and a hot chamber. 3 gr is a bit overkill but it is just a test to see if it is indeed pressure. You could do 2 I guess , but 1/2 gr is not enough in my mind.

Jeff

+1 on the H-1000 and use a body die. I tried other brass and went back to Remington. i neck size also, and have to use the body die on the third reload.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts