Extraction problems. Gunsmiths?

John Klingenberg

I put together a Remington 700 in 222 remington with spare parts i had around the shop. Factory takeoff barrel, everything stock except for the recoil lug. The problem is it wont extract! I re-soldered the bolt handle to time it, headspaced properly and polished the chamber. I removed the cocking mech and the bare bolt fuctions perfect, goes on the go guage, doesnt on the no-go. I put a once fired case from the setup and it is stuck hard enough to require a rod to remove it. A full length sized case does the same. What am i missing?

I put together a Remington 700 in 222 remington with spare parts i had around the shop. Factory takeoff barrel, everything stock except for the recoil lug. The problem is it wont extract! I re-soldered the bolt handle to time it, headspaced properly and polished the chamber. I removed the cocking mech and the bare bolt fuctions perfect, goes on the go guage, doesnt on the no-go. I put a once fired case from the setup and it is stuck hard enough to require a rod to remove it. A full length sized case does the same. What am i missing?

Have a smith install a Sako extractor in your bolt...none!

I dont have a problem with the extractor holding on. It stays on the case even when im tapping the bolt handle out. That case is wanting to stay in the chamber thight.

polish your chamber

I dont have a problem with the extractor holding on. It stays on the case even when im tapping the bolt handle out. That case is wanting to stay in the chamber thight.

Read your post wrong, oop's... like one of the other members here said, polish the chamber'..., I know you said you'd polished the chamber you might try it again, touch it up just a little with something like; JB bore paste it's an easy process good luck

One last thing; does or did the case(s) have any unusual marks on them when you extract the case(s) before you polished the chamber and how about now?

The cases did have a small set of scratches at the bottom which is what made me start the polishing. There was a tiny burr at the mouth of the chamber. Ill try the JB paste and see if that helps. I took the barrel off yesterday and tried a few things but it didnt reveal anything to me. It was a factory take-off. If i cant fugure it out im going to set it back and re-chamber.

The cases did have a small set of scratches at the bottom which is what made me start the polishing. There was a tiny burr at the mouth of the chamber. Ill try the JB paste and see if that helps. I took the barrel off yesterday and tried a few things but it didnt reveal anything to me. It was a factory take-off. If i cant fugure it out im going to set it back and re-chamber.

How did you polish the chamber the last time? JB paste is not aggressive but has rules to follow when using it to clean up deis, barrels, and chambers. Did you run all the 'gauges" in your chamber; Go-No-Go and Field gauge?

I don't know how/what process you did to polish.

At my shop, ( Straight Jacket Armory)
We have seen chambers that are to slick. Meaning the brass has nothing to grab, it ends up growing to much. However I don't know if that's your problem or not. The Remington factory actually "tunes" the extractors by using a large punch, and taping the side of the bolt to "push the extractor lip" inward a small amount.
Of course most Gunsmith's hate this method (including myself)
Good luck

How did you polish the chamber the last time? JB paste is not aggressive but has rules to follow when using it to clean up deis, barrels, and chambers. Did you run all the 'gauges" in your chamber; Go-No-Go and Field gauge?
No field guage, just go and no-go. I polished it before with a wet/dry alloxite with a dowel that fits the chamber fairly tight. Ive used that technique for many years.

I don't know how/what process you did to polish.

At my shop, ( Straight Jacket Armory)
We have seen chambers that are to slick. Meaning the brass has nothing to grab, it ends up growing to much. However I don't know if that's your problem or not. The Remington factory actually "tunes" the extractors by using a large punch, and taping the side of the bolt to "push the extractor lip" inward a small amount.
Of course most Gunsmith's hate this method (including myself)
Good luck
I usually never go over a 200 grit as i understand the brass needs to grab. This thing has me perplexed. Im going to get a different bunch of new brass today and see if it makes a difference. Im using a fairly old box of winchester ive had a long time.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.