Extinct powders

I have burned a whole bunch of the T870, but for most applications where I used it I now use VV N570. I am a big fan of the Vihtavouri high energy powders.
I like WC 872 over the T870 in several guns. BTW Anybody know where you can find WC 872 now? I only have about two pounds left and am holding it in reserve for one specific rifle/load.

What's the story on wc-872? Where would this one fall in the mix with the other powders? I've heard of it, but haven't actually found it on any literature.

eddybo - Pat's Reloading carries WC-872 for $69.00 / 8 lb. jug. Jeff Bartlett at gibrass.com also lists it as being in stock for $48.00 / 8 lb. Hope that helps.

Kevin

Thanks for the info. Last time I bought some I bought a bunch. Cannot imagine where it all went. I am pretty sure I bought it from GI Brass but could not remember where I got it from.

As did I. I first purchased a whole case of WC-860 for $35 / 8 lb. Later on, I purchased a case of WC-872 for $40 / 8 lb. Both times from GI Brass with great customer service.

Kevin

My experience with the ball powders, especialy WC872. They run very dirty till you approach max pressure, they are temp senstive so if your running it hot enough to run clean, in warm temps you will be overpressure (hot days with max loads will be trouble) so what I do bump the charge up on a day simular to my hunting conditions until it burns clean, now here is where I feel and I could be off but its worked for years, then I bump the powder back down till its just sooty, this gives me a buffer for warmer temps.
I like the ball powders because of the lower flame temps in the big overbore cases it has to increase barrel life.
RR

I have heard this about us-869. That it is easier on barrels compared to other powders. I did read, here some time ago about us-869 giving around double barrel life when used in large cases compared to others of the same approx burn rate

What's the story on wc-872? Where would this one fall in the mix with the other powders? I've heard of it, but haven't actually found it on any literature.

It's similar in burning rate to H-870. (maybe a bit slower)I found some at a surplus dealer in Spokane and used it in my ultra. It gave very good velocity but was very temp sensitive. (Also very dirty)....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.