Explain This Please

This was where the bullet impacted the animal. This to me definitely looks like it's below the spine.

The pic in post 8 is where it looks like it hit to me in the video but I didn't slow it down at all. Is there where you saw the blood?

Assuming that's where it impacted, that's farther back than I've ever shot an animal. For those that have been shooting Berger-type bullets, is that not too far back?

From the angle I see you obviously made a bad hit. If that bullet would of been roughly 7-8" towards the shoulder it would of went down toot sweet.

Cut your tag, move on and get ready to hunt your cow in plenty of white.........

View attachment 303682This is an antelope that I shot at the other day. The shot was 800 yards on the button. I am shooting a 338 rum pushing 300 grain Berger EH's. This is the first antelope I have shot at with this setup. I was expecting different results to say the least.

I made the shot and he took off. Initially I thought I missed. After reviewing the video I realized I put a pretty decent hit on him. He ran over the back side of the ridge so I figured he would be toast just out of sight. I walked over to retrieve him and as I crested the ridge he was on, I saw him on the next ridge back, over 1k yards away, with the same 3 does. I got a look at the exit side and there was a good stream of blood all down his Left side to confirm the hit and placement. He went up and over and I figured I would leave him for the night.

The next morning at daylight i was back with a buddy to recover him, as I was sure he would be toast. After a bit of hiking around sure enough there he was, running down a ridge a couple hundred yards away. Into a draw and up and over another ridge. Then up and over another. I could see blood stains all down his entry side which confirmed he was the same one.
I did not get an opportunity for another shot. I continued hiking in the direction he went and hiked and glasses for the next couple hours with no luck finding him. At that point he was alive and appeared to be doing just fine. Neither one of us were able to locate him again.

I have attached a link to a video as well as a screenshot of the impact frame.

From the more experienced guys, whats the consensus here? Too far back? Too high? Bullet did not perform properly? Antelope did not have enough mass to instigate terminal performance? Ex-con goat who was just downright tough as nails?

I must say I was expecting more of a bang flop type of scenario on an antelope with this rifle.

I would like to know where I went wrong.

Looks like it literally "penciled" through. The blood did it's job and coagulated and sealed the wounds Hopefully it won't become infected and he die a miserable and painful death either from infection or unable to run away from predators.
The real question begging for an answer is... what were YOU thinking that a .338 was appropriate for a thin skinned medium sized game animal. That where your focus should be.

View attachment 303682This is an antelope that I shot at the other day. The shot was 800 yards on the button. I am shooting a 338 rum pushing 300 grain Berger EH's. This is the first antelope I have shot at with this setup. I was expecting different results to say the least.

I made the shot and he took off. Initially I thought I missed. After reviewing the video I realized I put a pretty decent hit on him. He ran over the back side of the ridge so I figured he would be toast just out of sight. I walked over to retrieve him and as I crested the ridge he was on, I saw him on the next ridge back, over 1k yards away, with the same 3 does. I got a look at the exit side and there was a good stream of blood all down his Left side to confirm the hit and placement. He went up and over and I figured I would leave him for the night.

The next morning at daylight i was back with a buddy to recover him, as I was sure he would be toast. After a bit of hiking around sure enough there he was, running down a ridge a couple hundred yards away. Into a draw and up and over another ridge. Then up and over another. I could see blood stains all down his entry side which confirmed he was the same one.
I did not get an opportunity for another shot. I continued hiking in the direction he went and hiked and glasses for the next couple hours with no luck finding him. At that point he was alive and appeared to be doing just fine. Neither one of us were able to locate him again.

From the more experienced guys, whats the consensus here? Too far back? Too high? Bullet did not perform properly? Antelope did not have enough mass to instigate terminal performance? Ex-con goat who was just downright tough as nails?

I must say I was expecting more of a bang flop type of scenario on an antelope with this rifle.

I would guess between lungs and liver velocity too low to initiate expansion.

My guess back high, just above lung forward of kidneys below two arteries down from the spine and no mushrooming of bullet.

Nice body piercing though, should have had a ring, stud, or tag following the bullet marking him for next year with a different bullet selection.

Prolly went through between lungs and liver and not enough velocity to cause expansion.

The animal was hit high and too far back. Ballistics don't matter. They only matter in terms of supporting accuracy but in the end, shot placement. That's why I shoot what I know best and have the best chance of making the best shot placement.

Looks to far back and high must have went through between the organs and the guts

Think you're right Farmer John, looks to be right near the diaphram give or take a bit.

The spot you are saying you hit him is not where the bullet hit in the video you posted. The video clearly shows the bullet skimmed off his top side and took some hair off. If you'd hit where you're pointing in the picture the fur also would have not flown off the top of his back.
I disagree with you. The video does look like it skimmed the top of the back, but he has the original video that we don't, and he can slow it down and go frame by frame, which we cant do. The other picture shows a pretty clear bullet impact, and there is no hydrostatic shockwave seen on the impact, because the big slow bullet penciled and had no expansion.
It looked like 2 clumps of hair flying off, one from the top that went off to the right, and another one that fell down to the left. The one that went to the right was actually the bullet flying to the next mountain with a nice vapor trail. The one to the left looked like a bit of white hair, and the bullet most likely exited in the white part.

No mans land plus a pencil with no hydrostatic shock = a live animal

You hit him in what is called no man's land above the lungs there is no vitals you basically poked a hole through and through bullet didn't expand he may or may not survive I'm sure this happens with bow hunters more than rifle hunters
I did exactly this last year with a bull elk from 41 yards, right through the gap between the spine and lungs. No blood, no anything. Did our best to track him for about 3 hours and gave up. Next day we saw the same bull pushing cows up the next ridge and the day after that a 16 year old young lady harvested him as he first archery elk.

It is a complete dead zone... but hey, if you were going to make a bad shot that injured an animal, it's about the best you could possibly hope for!

This was where the bullet impacted the animal. This to me definitely looks like it's below the spine.
The video does not confirm this as the hit spot. Not the video I'm watching anyways. I ran this on a program on my desktop and it was above the spine for sure. The direction of the flying fur also confirms the high skimming hit. If you had hit the goat where you're pointing to then the fur on the video would not be shown above the animal on a downward sloping shot.

Recent Posts