Explain How 7 PRC Has Tighter Tolerances VS 7 MM Rem Mag, without bashing any company

h
I don't know how you came up with that?
Read OP's first sentence after ",so therefore". The implication is that since there is no difference in design elements then the unsaid implication is that factory ammo in factory rifles the accuracy from RemMags rifles and PRC rifles should be no different.

I keep reading and hearing how the 7 PRC was designed from the ground up with tighter SAAMI tolerances, so therefore it is easier to get better accuracy from non-custom guns and factory ammo. I assumed the tolerances would be evident on the SAAMI drawings, but with my limited knowledge, I do not see these tighter specifications. Can someone please enlighten me?

I see that the shoulder is a different angle and what is preferred these days. I see the case neck is longer. I see the throat is longer. I don't see anything else being tighter. Please explain what I am missing without bashing any company and complaining about media hype. I honestly want to know.

View attachment 527709

View attachment 527710
Improvement in overall case design, yes; tighter SAAMI tolerance, no.

Improvement in overall case design, yes; tighter SAAMI tolerance, no.
Agree, as the referenced article covers the advantages of modern case design. Helps with factory ammo, reloads by experienced persons not so much. I have seen some really good shooting 7RM. No personal experience with 7 PRC yet.

when I started chambering my own barrels for highpower in 260, I thought I would be smart and have a different reamer designed with less freebore because after about 1500 rnds it was getting tough to reach the lands with the bullets and I wanted the body dimensions to be tighter so the case fit the chamber better. I chambered the barrel and found out my rounds that I reloaded for rapid fire were too tight for the chamber so running the bolt fast was more difficult so I needed a smallbase die to reload for easy insertion into the chamber. So I gained nothing by having this special reamer ,perhaps the tighter chamber might be advantageous for factory loaded ammo being perhaps smaller in case dimension than what you end up in resizing. we are at the mercy of tolerances at the reloading die manufacturer as to how snugly the cartridge fits the chamber. The shortened freebore was a flop also , I could reach the lands for a longer period of time but the throat was rough after about 1500 or 2000 rnds so I felt I was better off to set them back after that period of time. The throat angle I'm not sure has very much importance due to throat erosion changing that completely within a couple hundred rounds

I personally think the cm,prc et all have a reputation for better average accuracy because to date you have not been able to get inexpensive ammo in them and what is there is mostly loaded with thin jacket poly tipped bullets and match bullets. Not a whole lot of premium stuff with tough/complex bullets or cheap stuff with corelokts, power points etc. These same bullets shoot better on average in all rounds just that is all there is available for the newer rounds

Lou

It's all about the diameter control of the throat. The 7mm PRC has a cylindrical throat of .2846, while the 7mmRem mag has essentially the same diameter but a 3 deg taper. That mean the Rem throat is 0.006" larger just in front of the case mouth, allowing the bullet to tip relative to the bore centerline as it releases from the case.
Looking at the drawings, it is actually .0001 smaller (.2845) at the case mouth than the PRC. And I don't see how this can "allow" the bullet to tip relative to bore anyhow.

Last edited:
when I started chambering my own barrels for highpower in 260, I thought I would be smart and have a different reamer designed with less freebore because after about 1500 rnds it was getting tough to reach the lands with the bullets and I wanted the body dimensions to be tighter so the case fit the chamber better. I chambered the barrel and found out my rounds that I reloaded for rapid fire were too tight for the chamber so running the bolt fast was more difficult so I needed a smallbase die to reload for easy insertion into the chamber. So I gained nothing by having this special reamer ,perhaps the tighter chamber might be advantageous for factory loaded ammo being perhaps smaller in case dimension than what you end up in resizing. we are at the mercy of tolerances at the reloading die manufacturer as to how snugly the cartridge fits the chamber. The shortened freebore was a flop also , I could reach the lands for a longer period of time but the throat was rough after about 1500 or 2000 rnds so I felt I was better off to set them back after that period of time. The throat angle I'm not sure has very much importance due to throat erosion changing that completely within a couple hundred rounds

The learning curve is a bitch.

The release of new cartridges seems to be what the "originals" should have been. Just add faster twist, more freebore, longer heavier higher BC bullets to oldie but goody and guess what you end up with? Plus not having to beg for brass.
More people want to shoot longer ranges now than 10-15 years ago, trends always start with customs jobs. Factory's rifles follow afterwards.

Recent Posts