Expander ball fact or fiction

IMO, brass brand has no bearing on this subject.
Lapua is quality brass, but it still has considerable variance. If I wanted brass with less variance out of the box I'd buy Norma. But I use Lapua for it's hardness combined with workable baseline quality.
Where Norma or Lapua do not provide for my cartridge, I just cull the best of whatever does(just as I do with Lapua anyway). With this, I do expect that I'll rake more brass into a trash can(ex. Winchester) than I would with Lapua. Never lose any in Norma.
But when I can buy a big bag of Win Reloading brass for next to nothing, and cull 50 perfect cases, I did alright money-wise,, and the trade-off was effort(never results).

I'm someone who uses custom body dies for shoulder bump only. Separate inline bushing dies for partial neck sizing, then a mandrel die for neck expansion (pre-expansion, or pre-seating).
My necks are turned, but I can make loaded ammo runout very low with unturned necks.
Mandrel expansion is not just for low runout. Expansion itself is beneficial to normalizing seating forces(for accurate seating depths) and loaded tension(inward springback, bullet grip). Partial neck sizing is beneficial for just as much again. And NOT sizing the body mitigates growing bananas out of brass.

But as I implied earlier, not everyone can do this. I believe those who understand reloading actions also know there is no one thing that could be said to apply across the board.

I
Below from Whidden Gun Works.
"... Neck tension can only be determined by changing expander balls with the non-bushing die."
/QUOTE]

Incorrect. The expander ball can be removed from the non-bushing die and an additional step can be added using a mandrel to precisely establish neck tension.

I have no argument with the statement that you can use some pretty sloppy ammo in an off the shelf SAAMI spec. firearm. No offense. Obviously, if you have to build a rifle that is capable of shooting anything the commercial market offers for sale you've got to exclude a wide range of fine details that a custom rifle offers.
However, a well centered bullet in a properly sized case with consistent neck wall thickness will perform better than a round loaded with a bullet, the center line of which aligns neither with the center line of the case nor the center line of the bore, regardless of whether the rifle is custom made or mass produced.
I see a few references to "runout" suggesting that case neck runout may be the most critical factor; it is not. Bullet runout is the final test for a properly aligned finished round.

I
Below from Whidden Gun Works.
"... Neck tension can only be determined by changing expander balls with the non-bushing die."
/QUOTE]

Incorrect. The expander ball can be removed from the non-bushing die and an additional step can be added using a mandrel to precisely establish neck tension.

Most expander dies offer a smaller neck turning mandrel and a expander mandrel and there is .001 in diameter difference between the two. Meaning Whidden's statement about their expanders is not "incorrect" and you can "precisely establish neck tension" with more choices with "FIVE" expanders.

Whidden offers expander sets with five expanders.

"The Whidden Gunworks Expander Balls typically allow the shooter the opportunity to adjust the neck tension from .001″ to .005″. The Expander Ball Kit comes with five Expander Balls. Each kit includes an Expander of the chosen caliber and decreases in size by .001″. Example: If an Expander Ball Kit for .243 caliber is ordered, the kit would include Expander Ball sizes .243, .242, .241, .240 and .239."

Expander Ball Kits | Whidden Gunworks

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.