everybodies oppinions wanted on noew LR rig

James Jones

I'm gonna be building a new rifle soon and have narrowed the calibers down to 3 , the 7mmRUM , 300RUM and 338 edge which is a 300RUM necked up to .338 giveing a bit more speed than the 338RUM. I thought about using the 338 Lapua case and improving it as the parent for all the cals but the cost of the brass and the rem 700 only being marginal for that case head has made me look at the RUM cases more

I plan to use a 30" Krieger barrel heavy conture on a blueprinted Rem 700 action. This gun will be used for shootng to 1000yds out to one mile or so on paper and maybe 1000yds for deer , for the bullets I'll more than likely use the 180gr Berger for the 7mm , the 210Breger , 208A-max for the 300RUM and the 300gr Sierra Match King , 265gr Wildcats for the 338Edge.

I was just wanting a little bit of an oppinion of what everybody else would build , I will likely sell this gun after i get a chance to play with it , this has made me lean toward the 300RUM and the 7mmRUM as factory ammo can be bought for both of them.

Any of you guys shoot any of these calibers? I'd like to hear your imput and what kind of velocities one can realisticaly expect from the 30" barrel?

I know 7mm RUM you should be able to hit 3300 fps with US 869 in a 30" barrel with the 180 Berger's. A good mild load was 3250. Accuracy wasn't great but that has been pinned down to a questionable barrel. I liked the 200 grain Wildcat's @ 3075 fps better than the 180 Berger's but getting them has turned out to be a chore.

The 7RUM is getting scrapped and I'm switching to 338 Edge. Ordered my barrel yesterday. This caliber has kind of left a bad taste in my mouth (I was even warned). Dave, I should have listened. Don't get me wrong I love what the 7mm bullets have to offer but I doubt I'll ever do the 7mm RUM thing again.

James, either the 180 berger in the 7RUM or the 208s out of the 300 would be my choice for whitetails. I would probably go with the 7 as recoil should be tolerable w/o a brake...and I am really not a fan of brakes.

I shoot the 208 A-max out of a 06AI (yea that one) at 2850 and they really smack what they hit, but the recoil is getting on the upper end of what I can shoot accurately for many shots.

If your going for elk....the 338 may be the way to go.

gun

Id probably go with a lawton 7500 target action 1.450" diam, 30 " krieger heavy straight tapered barrel probably #7 ,8,9 or 17,18. Chanbered for 30-338 lapua improved or some variation on short improved. Hours sorting rem brass makes it just as expensive as lapua but lapua will last alot longer.

338 Edge

As it is a custom gun the 338 Edge is the way to go great bullet energy and barrel life.

Cheers Bill
Australia

After working at nosler for a few years, I realized some cartridges are just finicky. 7 RUM is one of them. Athough I am shooiting one right now. Only because I ran into a bartlein barrel with no wait. That and I just wanted abit more poop than a 7WSM. Its only a 1 minute gun but it will hold it to a mile. Shoots through conditions like you wouldnt beleive. For everyday shooting I would go with something a bit easier to load for. For hunting I will shoot the thing that takes the most possibles out of the equasion.

Jason

i been concidering the same thing for about a year . im sending my LSS 300 RUM in and when i get it back it will be a 338 Edge

JIM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.