Ever had bad Primers?

kc

I hit the range today to sight in a few Rifles for friends and a neighbor, Man! I was madder than a wet hen. I had a great load for the 7MAG and when I would fire, it would go snap BANG!
it was a half second after the primer was made contact, there was a real good hit on the primers, some did not even fire and I was using CCIs BENCHREST. I have never had a problem.
this is the first time I have ever had this situation. I just bought them, I had another batch in my .35 and they worked better than expected...Well I got some bullets to pull.
We got all kinds FORSTER, RCBS, HORNADAY and a Davidson. have you any input right now I am a bit upset to say the least. I need to buy a puller.

The loads I did with the 160grs were dead nuts on 35yards and dead at 100 also.
as usual my .35 just made one hole with 3 shots..My .3006 it made a string with three shots in the red. so I am good to go. Exept the 7Mag. ****!

**** can the BR primers and go with a mag. Hangfires are a prob with large cap cases and standard or BR primers. Switch to mags and it will fix.

First thing I would is to check primer to insure it's fully seated.
Had same primer problem that was correct when seating was done correctly.

If they are bad primers call CCI and they will have you send them the primers and they will replace them. Yes I too would go with a Mag primer with the 7mm Rem mag especially if you are going to be hunting with it in cooler weather. Summer time heat you can usually get away with standard primers but when it cools off or gets COLD you need a Mag primer with that much powder. Most primer problems are due to not seating them properly or contamination.

I have already **** caned them, now I need a puller I need to save a few bucks and order a Davidson plier as long as it won't distroy the jackets.

Walmart carries a bullet puller (RCBS) if it would fit. Never destroyed a bullet yet. On soft points it will distort them a wee bit.

I had a good 10 misfires and 12 that fired I have never had this problem, I am just wondering if the primers got moisture, old???I will try some magnum primers it should solve the problem.
I am gona watch how I store them also..I have some packs that my Pharmisist has, it wicks all the moisture from the pills. they are just small plastic canisters.

You say "there was a real good hit on the primers" gives a clue. Are you full length resizing? How did you set up the die? My guess is that you created too much headspace, by pushing the shoulder back excessively. This increases headspace. That means the case moved forward with the primer strike and it did not collapse the anvil. Thus, no ignition.

Try neck sizing only with a few. If you must F/L size, move the die up about a full turn, and then come down in steps (about 1/16th inch per turn) until you are just barely touching the shoulder. Every time you size the case, try it in the rifle until you can just barely feel some resistance when the bolt goes down. That will tell you the shoulder is touching the chamber. Excessive headspace could be dangerous.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.