Erik Cortina is going to do the Backfire challenge

I don't now why it is so hard for some folks to just pass on by.... If what BF and EC are doing is not your "cup of tea" move on to something that is your cup of tea. Or send your criticisms directly to BF and EC. (I am sure it will go in the permanent file). The nitpicking everything about what their doing is such a waste. Go do your own thing in front of camera and post it. Most of us will support and encourage you. No need to diminish what other men are "actually doing."
Is this pointed at me? Because I'm actually shooting and hunting long distance. And since I taught people how to shoot for a living I can see when someone is being set up to fail.

It's an open forum so I can say whatever is pertinent. If you don't like it you can follow your own advice and pass on.

So then what's the purpose of his test/ challenge? In his video Jim says " I'm really done talking about 800, 100 yard shots on game. Very few people do it, I know very few people who should be doing it. But i don't know a single shooter on the planet, not one. And I've shoot with world champions, I've shot with some of the best known shooters out there, I've shot with a ton of them. I don't any shooter alive that can make 100 percent of their shots within 600 yards.". The whole topic is based on hunting long range. I broke my stance on watching his video just to quote his statement. So this test is his criteria for long range hunting.
Why not ask EC directly so you could hear it from him on his YouTube channel post?

I don't now why it is so hard for some folks to just pass on by.... If what BF and EC are doing is not your "cup of tea" move on to something that is your cup of tea. Or send your criticisms directly to BF and EC. (I am sure it will go in the permanent file). The nitpicking everything about what their doing is such a waste. Go do your own thing in front of camera and post it. Most of us will support and encourage you. No need to diminish what other men are "actually doing."
This!

So then what's the purpose of his test/ challenge? In his video Jim says " I'm really done talking about 800, 100 yard shots on game. Very few people do it, I know very few people who should be doing it. But i don't know a single shooter on the planet, not one. And I've shoot with world champions, I've shot with some of the best known shooters out there, I've shot with a ton of them. I don't any shooter alive that can make 100 percent of their shots within 600 yards.". The whole topic is based on hunting long range. I broke my stance on watching his video just to quote his statement. So this test is his criteria for long range hunting.

Why not ask EC directly so you could hear it from him on his YouTube channel post?
Everything I've said was about Jim or whatever his name is.

Jim's BF TV video is about long range hunters. He pretty much sounds disgusted with people taking shots at 800-100 yards on game. His test is set up at 600 yards. So if you fail the test then the premise is you have no business hunting at those distances. I'd say that's all relevant on this forum.

Unless I'm posting on Long Range Chess players, if that's the case then I apologize and will let myself out.

"No one is being set up to fail..." A setup implies cunning or deceit or deceit. The original shooter and EC both participated voluntarily. Right??? They both understood and accepted the challenge. No reason to make this personal.

I am serious... you should consider organizing your own LR challenge. Most of us agree that this challenge is not really a great hunting challenge. However, it does highlight the massive disconnect between what many of us believe we can do and what we can really do. It is BC and EC prerogative to do whatever they want. For most of the rest of us, it is our prerogative to sit back and enjoy the show! :)

I can understand the frustration with the challenge. Its intention is to steer folks that are over confident to question their confidence. I just don't think it's an accurate depiction of hunting and more compared to nrl or prs where smaller, low velocity cartridges are going to be advantageous. No sense in getting too wound up about although it might bring to light the lack of more real world hunting type events with magnum rifles

I can understand the frustration with the challenge. Its intention is to steer folks that are over confident to question their confidence. I just don't think it's an accurate depiction of hunting and more compared to nrl or prs where smaller, low velocity cartridges are going to be advantageous. No sense in getting too wound up about although it might bring to light the lack of more real world hunting type events with magnum rifles
Yup I agree it's not an accurate depiction of hunting/ lr hunting. Even the ranging part isn't accurate since big game are bigger than milk jugs lol.

Yup I agree it's not an accurate depiction of hunting/ lr hunting. Even the ranging part isn't accurate since big game are bigger than milk jugs lol.
Ya, no reason to get too wound up about it though. Like been said, it's all in fun and educational. If someone says that I couldn't shoot a milk jug at a random distance out to 600 yards, they're going to loose a gallon of milk. If someone said I had to shoot 100 of them, I'm going to want a month and a new barrel and that's a lot of wasted milk.

"No one is being set up to fail..." A setup implies cunning or deceit or deceit. The original shooter and EC both participated voluntarily. Right??? They both understood and accepted the challenge. No reason to make this personal.

I am serious... you should consider organizing your own LR challenge. Most of us agree that this challenge is not really a great hunting challenge. However, it does highlight the massive disconnect between what many of us believe we can do and what we can really do. It is BC and EC prerogative to do whatever they want. For most of the rest of us, it is our prerogative to sit back and enjoy the show! :)
I look forward to EC's video, regardless of the end result percentage. I would sit back, relax, and enjoy the show while sipping a Scotch. 😂

Last edited:

Recent Posts